Uuttitan Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Uuttitan Community Forums

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Defensive Offense?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
ARandomBoy

ARandomBoy

UT points : 5651

Defensive Offense? Empty
PostSubject: Defensive Offense?   Defensive Offense? EmptyTue Jan 12, 2010 9:58 pm

Because I am, like, obsessed with the ability Intimidate, I took a Pokemon that is generally a fragile CB or Scarfer and transformed it into a defensive monster.

Staraptor@Leftovers
252 HP / 4 ATK / 252 DEF
Impish
Intimidate

-Roost
-Toxic
-Substitute
-Brave Bird / Aerial Ace / Pluck

Yes, it is what you think it is. A defensive Staraptor. Before you doubt its ability, check this out:

Adamant Max ATK Gyarados' Stone Edge [after Intimidate] : 38% - 45%

That is a 3HKO. That allows me to Toxic, then proceed to stall out with Roost and Substitute. I can live a critical hit Stone Edge (Stone Edge has a high crit ration) from full health, but if I am much lower that can be dangerous. However, Stone Edge also has a shaky accuracy, and a miss can lead to me getting an easy Substitute. The last move saves me from being walled by Taunt, and provides a good STAB option. Brave Bird is the most powerful of the three, but the recoil on a defensive set isn't great. AA has perfect accuracy, versus Pluck which has 100 accuracy, but eats the foes berry.

Constructive criticism is appreciated. Thanks! Razz
Back to top Go down
Gastrotress

Gastrotress

UT points : 5890

Defensive Offense? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Defensive Offense?   Defensive Offense? EmptyWed Jan 13, 2010 5:48 pm

totally walled by a steel type. Registeel (incorrect tier but meh), metagross, bronzong and skarmory all come to mind.... Oh and also all the steel/rock types will take this and use it to set up (RP aggron says hi)

Oh and actually you can't live a crit stone edge; crit ignores the attack fall making it 3X in this case... a OHKO
Back to top Go down
ARandomBoy

ARandomBoy

UT points : 5651

Defensive Offense? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Defensive Offense?   Defensive Offense? EmptyWed Jan 13, 2010 5:57 pm

Gastrotress wrote:
totally walled by a steel type. Registeel (incorrect tier but meh), metagross, bronzong and skarmory all come to mind.... Oh and also all the steel/rock types will take this and use it to set up (RP aggron says hi)

Oh and actually you can't live a crit stone edge; crit ignores the attack fall making it 3X in this case... a OHKO
I know I am walled by Steel-types, which I why I will bring something that can take them on. Razz

Forgot about the crit ignoring attack drop, thanks for pointing that out.
Back to top Go down
Greene

Greene

UT points : 7485

Defensive Offense? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Defensive Offense?   Defensive Offense? EmptyWed Jan 13, 2010 6:40 pm

Gastrotress wrote:

Yea it ignores the attack drop but it doesn't excel the crit to x3 damage instead of x2. And even then, where did you get the idea that a crit ignores attack drops???
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/Greene1516
Gastrotress

Gastrotress

UT points : 5890

Defensive Offense? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Defensive Offense?   Defensive Offense? EmptyWed Jan 13, 2010 6:44 pm

Greene wrote:
Gastrotress wrote:

Yea it ignores the attack drop but it doesn't excel the crit to x3 damage instead of x2. And even then, where did you get the idea that a crit ignores attack drops???

3X the amount in the damage calc... IE gyarados in the damage calc was doing 66% (2/3) total after intimidate; non crit

Then after the crit it does 2X damage

2=2/3*3

And yes greene crits ignore attack drops, just as they ignore defense ups
Back to top Go down
Greene

Greene

Defensive Offense? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Defensive Offense?   Defensive Offense? EmptyThu Jan 14, 2010 8:21 am

Gastrotress wrote:
Greene wrote:
Gastrotress wrote:

3X the amount in the damage calc... IE gyarados in the damage calc was doing 66% (2/3) total after intimidate; non crit

Then after the crit it does 2X damage

2=2/3*3

And yes greene crits ignore attack drops, just as they ignore defense ups

Can you link me to where you are getting this information 'cause I scoured both the smogon and serebii databases to check this and found nothing.

And it still isn't 3 times anything, if the Intimidate is ignored then it is just the regular x2.
Back to top Go down
SebaSneakers

SebaSneakers

UT points : 5768

Defensive Offense? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Defensive Offense?   Defensive Offense? EmptyThu Jan 14, 2010 9:42 am

awsome set
i would never think of this
but ths would be for double because of the steel probleme
Back to top Go down
Shnoogle

Shnoogle

UT points : 7717

Defensive Offense? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Defensive Offense?   Defensive Offense? EmptyThu Jan 14, 2010 2:41 pm

greene... Gastro is correct

An adamant max attack gyara does 38-45 % after intimidate with stone edge according to random. Since crits ignore attack drops, he will do over 50% damage with stone edge just because he gets his attack back to normal, and then that gets doubled because of the crit.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/OctopusOoze
Greene

Greene

Defensive Offense? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Defensive Offense?   Defensive Offense? EmptyThu Jan 14, 2010 2:44 pm

Shnoogle wrote:

An adamant max attack gyara does 38-45 % after intimidate with stone edge according to random. Since crits ignore attack drops, he will do over 50% damage with stone edge just because he gets his attack back to normal, and then that gets doubled because of the crit.

I never said he wasn't correct, I said I would like a link.
Back to top Go down
Shnoogle

Shnoogle

UT points : 7717

Defensive Offense? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Defensive Offense?   Defensive Offense? EmptyThu Jan 14, 2010 2:47 pm

Greene wrote:
Shnoogle wrote:

I never said he wasn't correct, I said I would like a link.

It appeared to me that you didn't understand
Sorry for trying to help then
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/OctopusOoze
Sponsored content

Defensive Offense? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Defensive Offense?   Defensive Offense? Empty

Back to top Go down

Defensive Offense?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Uuttitan Forums :: Pokemon :: Pokemon Strategy-