Uuttitan Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Uuttitan Community Forums

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

A New Tailwind User

Go down 
+2
ARandomBoy
Nagi-Nagi
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Nagi-Nagi
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Nagi-Nagi

UT points : 6870

A New Tailwind User Empty
PostSubject: A New Tailwind User   A New Tailwind User EmptyThu Feb 25, 2010 9:04 pm

I'm starting to actually get a little tired of my Xatu for two reasons. First, people have found out about it's strategy all too well (and even more next week *Hint Hint*). Second, I realy need to change up my team to keep my opponents guessing, because I really like using the move Tailwind, so much that I'm hoping to mainstream it in the doubles metagame. So, here's a new Tailwind user which I hope will be as good as my Xatu, which has really helped me out in the long run.

Background Info:
-I want to use a pokemon that learns Tailwind BEFORE the SSHG move tutor, so DO NOT recommend pokemon who do learn from the tutor.
-I battle doubles only.
-I battle UU/NU only.
-I don't allow Fake Out and Substitute (No arguments!!!).

Pokemon: Articuno (ゆき)
Nature: Modest
Ability: Pressure
Item: Focus Sash
EVs: 252Spe/100Sp.A/100HP/56Sp.D
Set:
-Ice Beam
-Heal Bell
-Roost
-Tailwind
Purpose:
-A little close to the the support set from Smogon, but changed a move to Tailwind. I also changed the EVs and item because I need it differently and its a lead, so I'm afraid of Rock attacks. It starts with Tailwind and will use any move that fits the situation. If I need to heal after Tailwind, I'll go for Roost, lowering the super-effectiveness of Rock and Electric attacks. I can go for Heal Bell if the opponent goes for a Thunder Wave, knowing my strategy or if he/she gets a lucky hax. If nothing else, I can fire off an Ice Beam with Modest nature and 100 EVs in Sp.A for the extra power. Please suggest a different nature if it helps better. After Tailwind ends and I'm able to live another attack, I'll go for Tailwind again and continue sweeping with the rest of my team.

Please give me any opinion you have. I really need it. Thanks! ^_^
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/NARANagi
ARandomBoy

ARandomBoy

UT points : 5653

PostSubject: Re: A New Tailwind User   A New Tailwind User EmptyThu Feb 25, 2010 9:26 pm

My only concern about this set is the EVs. They're completely random. If you're going to use non-252/252 spreads, the EVs should have specific purpose such as outspeeding certain threats, surviving certain attacks, and KOing certain walls.
Back to top Go down
Nagi-Nagi
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Nagi-Nagi

PostSubject: Re: A New Tailwind User   A New Tailwind User EmptyThu Feb 25, 2010 9:29 pm

ARandomBoy wrote:
My only concern about this set is the EVs. They're completely random. If you're going to use non-252/252 spreads, the EVs should have specific purpose such as outspeeding certain threats, surviving certain attacks, and KOing certain walls.

Well. They're a bit random because I just like to keep things as general as possible. It's just what I do. The thing is, if I try too hard to get the most specific EVs, I'll end up becoming confused and messing up in the process. I just have EVs that generally complement what I want to do with this thing.
Back to top Go down
noheartx

noheartx

UT points : 5448

PostSubject: Re: A New Tailwind User   A New Tailwind User EmptyFri Feb 26, 2010 6:13 am

it seems pretty good but since tailwind only lasts a few turns im guessing your goin to bring him in again later so something to watch out for is SR
Back to top Go down
Neku

Neku

UT points : 5704

PostSubject: Re: A New Tailwind User   A New Tailwind User EmptyFri Feb 26, 2010 8:46 am

Nagi-Nagi wrote:
I'm starting to actually get a little tired of my Xatu for two reasons. First, people have found out about it's strategy all too well (and even more next week *Hint Hint*). Second, I realy need to change up my team to keep my opponents guessing, because I really like using the move Tailwind, so much that I'm hoping to mainstream it in the doubles metagame. So, here's a new Tailwind user which I hope will be as good as my Xatu, which has really helped me out in the long run.

Background Info:
-I want to use a pokemon that learns Tailwind BEFORE the SSHG move tutor, so DO NOT recommend pokemon who do learn from the tutor.
-I battle doubles only.
-I battle UU/NU only.
-I don't allow Fake Out and Substitute (No arguments!!!).

Pokemon: Articuno (ゆき)
Nature: Modest
Ability: Pressure
Item: Focus Sash
EVs: 252Spe/100Sp.A/100HP/56Sp.D
Set:
-Ice Beam
-Heal Bell
-Roost
-Tailwind
Purpose:
-A little close to the the support set from Smogon, but changed a move to Tailwind. I also changed the EVs and item because I need it differently and its a lead, so I'm afraid of Rock attacks. It starts with Tailwind and will use any move that fits the situation. If I need to heal after Tailwind, I'll go for Roost, lowering the super-effectiveness of Rock and Electric attacks. I can go for Heal Bell if the opponent goes for a Thunder Wave, knowing my strategy or if he/she gets a lucky hax. If nothing else, I can fire off an Ice Beam with Modest nature and 100 EVs in Sp.A for the extra power. Please suggest a different nature if it helps better. After Tailwind ends and I'm able to live another attack, I'll go for Tailwind again and continue sweeping with the rest of my team.

Please give me any opinion you have. I really need it. Thanks! ^_^
I'm sure you know that Articuno suffers from entry hazards, stealth rocks in particular and I'm assuming you'll be bringing him out more then
once so be sure to have Rapid Spinner. It looks like a cool set though, the only problem is that trick room would damage your strategy and
in doubles, as I'm sure you know, trick room is rather common. Looks like a cool strategy though.
Back to top Go down
Nagi-Nagi
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Nagi-Nagi

PostSubject: Re: A New Tailwind User   A New Tailwind User EmptyFri Feb 26, 2010 8:50 am

noheartx wrote:
it seems pretty good but since tailwind only lasts a few turns im guessing your goin to bring him in again later so something to watch out for is SR

Well, I actually plan on not switching it out because so it does not get damaged from Stealth Rock. I'll keep it as a lead the whole time.
Back to top Go down
Nagi-Nagi
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Nagi-Nagi

PostSubject: Re: A New Tailwind User   A New Tailwind User EmptyFri Feb 26, 2010 8:54 am

[quote="Neku"]I'm sure you know that Articuno suffers from entry hazards, stealth rocks in particular and I'm assuming you'll be bringing him out more then
once so be sure to have Rapid Spinner. It looks like a cool set though, the only problem is that trick room would damage your strategy and
in doubles, as I'm sure you know, trick room is rather common. Looks like a cool strategy though.[quote]

I know that, but I don't need a Rapid Spinner. It's gonna' stay as a lead. I'm not gonna' switch it out.
Back to top Go down
Daiko

Daiko

UT points : 6839

PostSubject: Re: A New Tailwind User   A New Tailwind User EmptyFri Feb 26, 2010 10:01 am

Nagi-Nagi wrote:
Neku wrote:
I'm sure you know that Articuno suffers from entry hazards, stealth rocks in particular and I'm assuming you'll be bringing him out more then
in doubles, as I'm sure you know, trick room is rather common. Looks like a cool strategy though.

I know that, but I don't need a Rapid Spinner. It's gonna' stay as a lead. I'm not gonna' switch it out.

Anyways, Nagi.

I know you cover for many situations with your TailWind teams, but you may want to carry a Dugtrio or something else that resists Electric, seen as many of your members are weak to Electric (Marowak with LightningRod is a good Pair up Pokemon Smile)
Back to top Go down
http://spearpillar.roflforum.net/forum.htm
Nagi-Nagi
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Nagi-Nagi

PostSubject: Re: A New Tailwind User   A New Tailwind User EmptyFri Feb 26, 2010 10:04 am

Daiko wrote:
Nagi-Nagi wrote:
Neku wrote:

Anyways, Nagi.

I know you cover for many situations with your TailWind teams, but you may want to carry a Dugtrio or something else that resists Electric, seen as many of your members are weak to Electric (Marowak with LightningRod is a good Pair up Pokemon Smile)

Yeah...But instead, I think I might make a brand new team for this one. Maybe having a team that resists Electric, but weak to something else.
Back to top Go down
Neku

Neku

UT points : 5704

PostSubject: Re: A New Tailwind User   A New Tailwind User EmptyFri Feb 26, 2010 11:30 am

Oh, I didn't completely catch what your strategy was, so you're going to take down as much as you can with Articuno while having tailwind up, then before he faints set-up tailwind hence the focus sash and with that up sweep with the speed boost from tailwind with the rest of the team. Clever strategy. Definitely original.
Back to top Go down
Nagi-Nagi
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Nagi-Nagi

PostSubject: Re: A New Tailwind User   A New Tailwind User EmptyFri Feb 26, 2010 11:52 am

Neku wrote:
Oh, I didn't completely catch what your strategy was, so you're going to take down as much as you can with Articuno while having tailwind up, then before he faints set-up tailwind hence the focus sash and with that up sweep with the speed boost from tailwind with the rest of the team. Clever strategy. Definitely original.

Yeah. That's exactly what my strategy is with the Articuno. And that's how the Tailwind team I have now is very successful.
Back to top Go down
TheOSC

TheOSC

UT points : 5508

PostSubject: Re: A New Tailwind User   A New Tailwind User EmptyFri Feb 26, 2010 2:23 pm

Cool set although I see it being much more effective in singles for a few reasons. One Trickroom is pretty prevalent in UU/NU brackets and this would guarantee you go last every turn. The big reason that I am scared though is if your opponent decides to double team your Articuno he will go down, and that would put a Tailwind based team at a huge disadvantage, once again guaranteeing that you go last every turn.
Back to top Go down
Nagi-Nagi
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Nagi-Nagi

PostSubject: Re: A New Tailwind User   A New Tailwind User EmptyFri Feb 26, 2010 2:54 pm

TheOSC wrote:
Cool set although I see it being much more effective in singles for a few reasons. One Trickroom is pretty prevalent in UU/NU brackets and this would guarantee you go last every turn. The big reason that I am scared though is if your opponent decides to double team your Articuno he will go down, and that would put a Tailwind based team at a huge disadvantage, once again guaranteeing that you go last every turn.

Well, Tailwind teams are supposed to be extremely fragile and have a very delicate strategy. That's the way the Tailwind team I have now is. And my pokemon aren't exactly that slow. Even if I miss a Tailwind, I can still survive. As for Trick Room, if I play my team right, I can beat it. I've beat it before with the Tailwind team I have now.

And I don't battle singles, so that's out of the question. Razz
Back to top Go down
TheOSC

TheOSC

PostSubject: Re: A New Tailwind User   A New Tailwind User EmptyFri Feb 26, 2010 3:05 pm

Yea i know now XD but I do think that using this properly would defiantly depend on who its partnering with, I highly recommend something with either Taunt or Follow Me, Taunt for TR and Follow me for preventing gang attacks
Back to top Go down
Nagi-Nagi
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Nagi-Nagi

PostSubject: Re: A New Tailwind User   A New Tailwind User EmptyFri Feb 26, 2010 3:14 pm

TheOSC wrote:
Yea i know now XD but I do think that using this properly would defiantly depend on who its partnering with, I highly recommend something with either Taunt or Follow Me, Taunt for TR and Follow me for preventing gang attacks

Actually, for my Tailwind teams, I use a double set-up. What I meam is, I can use Tailwind with my Articuno and set up a Swords Dance or a Nasty PLot with the second pokemon. Taunt and Follow Me aren't really my style of play. And why even fear Stealth Rock when I'M NOT GOING TO SWITCH IT OUT? IT'S GOING TO STAY A LEAD.
Back to top Go down
TheOSC

TheOSC

PostSubject: Re: A New Tailwind User   A New Tailwind User EmptyFri Feb 26, 2010 4:03 pm

The taunt isn't for SR its for TR because like I said that will eff joo up XD
Back to top Go down
Nagi-Nagi
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Nagi-Nagi

PostSubject: Re: A New Tailwind User   A New Tailwind User EmptyFri Feb 26, 2010 4:08 pm

TheOSC wrote:
The taunt isn't for SR its for TR because like I said that will eff joo up XD

Oh.........Sorry. xD
Back to top Go down
TheOSC

TheOSC

PostSubject: Re: A New Tailwind User   A New Tailwind User EmptyFri Feb 26, 2010 4:10 pm

Yea nbd I just see a TR team poping that and you not having a chance after taht goes up... I would recommend it on your other poke as a possible move. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A New Tailwind User   A New Tailwind User Empty

Back to top Go down

A New Tailwind User
Page 1 of 1