HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 

Inspiration from FlareZen - Lure Celebi

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Shnoogle

UT points : 5537

PostSubject: Inspiration from FlareZen - Lure Celebi   Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:47 pm

OK so after seeing Flare's topic about a bulky CM Celebi I have been thinking about some possible sets. As I am really getting tired of Pokémon in general, creating fun to use sets is basically the only reason I have to still play. I just thought of this completely gimmicky Celebi set that can be a sweeper (sort of) as well as an excellent team player on a certain type of team which I will get to later.

Now, ask yourself one question... Who is the one Pokémon who is very popular and checks Celebi and Tyranitar very well? Yay! The red bug thing called Scizor! OK so I always thought that Celebi got the elemental punches, so I was like, ok why have I never seen a Swords Dancing Celebi with something like SD / Zen Headbutt / Fire Punch / U-Turn or whatever? Well, I learned just like 5 minutes ago that Celebi actually doesn't get the punches. BUT this is where Celebi has an extremely good niche for a team based around a T-Tar sweep. Here is the set and explanation...

Celebi @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature... +Speed, -SpA
228 Attack / 60 SpA / 220 Speed
•Swords Dance
•Baton Pass
•Seed Bomb/Zen Headbutt
•HP [Fire]

Incredibly odd set, I know =P
Basically you switch in on a Swampert or something that doesn't threaten you at all and SD up. The opponent will most likely be thrown way off guard and switch again to their Scizor if they have one to take a weak Seed Bomb/Zen Headbutt (or to see you SD again if you predict right). Then, a LO HP Fire with these EVs (yes I did take into account the Jolly Nature as well) will OHKO the standard 248/0 Scizor with SR, leaving their main T-Tar check down. When things like this happen to people as well, they typically start playing much more predictably and just worse overall, which is another major plus. After taking out Scizor, you can Baton Pass away to T-Tar or another Pokémon who can take advantage of the Attack boosts, such as Dragonite or Lucario. Luckily, Celebi has very good defenses for a Swords Dancer so whatever switches in to revenge kill, unless it is quicker than a bit quicker than (yes you read that correctly lol) max Speed Gliscor and has a STAB super effective move such as Scarf Tar's Crunch or Scarf Hera's Magahorn, you should be able to pull off the Baton Pass usually every time. Since this Celebi is mostly a one time thing, allowing it to take damage from something like max Speed Zapdos and then Baton Passing to Tyranitar is highly beneficial to get your sweeper in unscathed.

A possible T-Tar partner set can be something like -

T-Tar @ LO
Adamant
252 Attack / 252 Speed / 4 HP
Rock Polish / Stone Edge OR Rock Slide / Crunch / Aqua Tail

What do you guys think of this odd little strategy?
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/OctopusOoze
mrcatz

UT points : 6502
Location : you wonder why your mom was acting strange this morning O.o

PostSubject: Re: Inspiration from FlareZen - Lure Celebi   Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:15 pm

Wow I'm surprised that it can take down Scizor. I saw Jolly and thought you were crazy. I like it. Bulky Scizor is the main threat but hopefully you want fight one
Back to top Go down
Shnoogle

PostSubject: Re: Inspiration from FlareZen - Lure Celebi   Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:23 pm

mrcatz wrote:
Wow I'm surprised that it can take down Scizor. I saw Jolly and thought you were crazy. I like it. Bulky Scizor is the main threat but hopefully you want fight one

lol yeah I thought I would need many more EVs in Special Attack, but the damage calc I used has always been very reliable and has always been very accurate so I trust it.

Yeah, luckily the most common form of Scizor runs no SpD EVs and even if they did run like 100 or so, I would still have a chance to KO with some prior damage because I always use the minimum damage roll to decide the amount of EVs to use.

Oh, I almost forgot... Which is better for short sweeping purposes... Zen Heabutt or Seed Bomb?
I thought maybe Seed Bomb because it has no immunities and it screws over Tyranitars who think they can revenge kill me with their slow Pursuits, but Zen Headbutt has more neutral coverage which is good for a mono attacker.
Back to top Go down
ScizzorTrainer

UT points : 3264

PostSubject: Re: Inspiration from FlareZen - Lure Celebi   Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:57 pm

Sounds... decent! Next time I sav an OU team I'll put her on, nice set.
Back to top Go down
Shnoogle

PostSubject: Re: Inspiration from FlareZen - Lure Celebi   Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:45 pm

OK I made a team around this and it is shorty as follows...

Forretress - Impish - Leftovers
252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Def
SR / Spikes / Rapid Spin / Payback

Spiker and SR support for T-Tar (what the team is based around). A great lead in general, it takes on most Metagross, Swampert, Hippowdon etc...

Celebi
- Modest - Life Orb
232 HP / 240 SpA / 36 Spe
Leaf Storm / Thunderwave / HP [Fire] / Rest

My set worked out for the very first match like a complete beast, baiting in a Scizor and eating it alive (here is the log),
Spoiler:

but from there on, the next 20 or so matches I played had almost no Celebi game time and when it did get it, it just wasn't bulky enough to do much besides die since if the opponent has no Scizor it doesn't have tons of use. Therefore, I am using the Tinkerbell set on Smogon because I have used it before and it is boss while still baiting in Scizors in general (what Celebi doesn't bait in Scizor, seriously haha) and disposing of them. It has pretty good bulk and very good offensive capabilities. EVs for outspeeding Jolly T-Tar and gives it bulk and good SpA.

Tyranitar - Jolly - Lum Berry
252/252 / 4 HP
Stone Edge (thinking about testing Rock Slide) / EQ (Possibly Ice Punch) / DD / Crunch

Standard sweeper T-Tar. Open to suggestions for other sets and whatnot. Have thought about Aqua Tail over EQ but I have had more situations where having EQ is more useful so far. It's funny because mostly every time I bring in T-Tar the opponent sends in a Choice Scarfed Flygon, gets in a U-Turn as I switch and they have the advantage. Actually it's not very funny lol. I was just wondering if T-Tar learned Ice Punch and IT DOES YAY so I may test that. I would think that with all of the Flygons everywhere it should be a pretty good opening move as my team is very Flygon weak. Celebi = U-Turn. Forretress = Fire Blast and if I mispredict Heatran eats an Earthquake. Heatran cannot consistently absorb Outrages for Kingdra, and T-Tar cannot take 2 EQs/Outrages. Rotom really isn't bulky enough to switch in, although its EQ immunity is rather handy =D

Rotom - Timid - Choice Scarf
252/252 / 4 HP
Trick / Thunderbolt / Shadow Ball / Hydro Pump

Figured a spin blocker would be nice, but I'm considering a bulkier Rotom... It dies too quickly sometimes. Choice Scarf because offensive Rotoms are pretty good and catch people off guard, and my team lacks decent speed.

Heatran - Timid - Passho Berry
252/252 4 HP
Flamethrower / Earth Power / HP [Grass] / Metal Sound

Wanted to test this as a lure for things like Swampert and Suicune who put a damper on T-Tar's parade. Metal Sounds on a predicted switch, take the Surf from Starmie, Vappy w/e, and smack it hard with what is essentially a *4 effective HP [Grass]. After SR and some Spikes support from Forretress, they are dead =)
I really like Flamethrower > Fire Blast actually. I haven't met many situations where I needed the power and the accuracy and PP is nice. Metal Sound doesn't always see too much use, however. Suggestions?

Kingdra - Adamant - Chesto Berry
144 HP / 160 Atk / 40 SpD / 164 Spe
Waterfall / DD / Outrage / Rest

Heard about this set on the Smogon site before and decided to try it out... It wrecks unprepared teams, however I feel like this team could use a much more bulkier water type such as... suggestions go here lol...
Outspeeds positive natured base 100s after 1 DD with these EVs and the rest help Kingdra to not be 2HKOed by offensive Starmie's and Suicune's Ice Beams so it can rest off the damage and 2HKO with Outrage after 2 DDs.
I was thinking Vappy could go here, or even Suicune, because I cam very Infernape weak to be quite honest. Rotom cannot OHKO a full health one and everything else is OHKOed except Kingdra, who still takes ~60% from a physically based CC. Add SR to that, prior damage, lack of reliable recovery etc... you get the picture.

So, tell me what you think =)

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Inspiration from FlareZen - Lure Celebi   

Back to top Go down

Inspiration from FlareZen - Lure Celebi
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Uuttitan Forums :: Pokemon :: Pokemon Strategy-
Jump to: