Uuttitan Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Uuttitan Community Forums

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Scout's guide in Team Fortress 2

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Scyne

Scyne

UT points : 5489

Scout's guide in Team Fortress 2 Empty
PostSubject: Scout's guide in Team Fortress 2   Scout's guide in Team Fortress 2 EmptyTue Jun 09, 2009 2:12 am

Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven This is a guide for the Scout class in Team Fortress 2. Specifically for the computer version, with the updated weapons and items. Most tricks will be able to be performed on consoles too though. Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven
The class and it's strengths
The first thing you're gonna have to realize for ANY class, is that each one plays differently. The Pyro is mostly made for DOT and cqc. The engineer for defense and control/choke points. And the Scout for hit-and-run operations.
The Scout has the lowest health out of all the classes. Which means you aren't going to be able to take on most classes head-on by yourself. Instead, you must let a bit of strategy play into how you fight. You are faster than all the other classes, so obviously you want to keep moving. This will ensure that you get hit less than if you stand in one spot with a pistol. As you don't have as much health as everyone else, you can't afford to sit still. This is where the double jump ability your new class has comes in handy. Jumping around like a moron may seem stupid for any other class but with scout, it is one of the most helpful things you can do to survive. It's hard to hit a flying idiot with a rocket... It's even harder when he's batting your skull in.
The one thing you need to remember about scout is that you might not get as good a k/d ratio compared to other classes that can mow down several enemies in a single life. You'll have to learn how to run and shoot at the same time. Your scattergun is going to be your main weapon throughout your games. (or the Force-a-Nature if you decide to use it instead)
the job of a scout is to get in and harass the enemy as long as possible. Most people think that a lone scout wouldn't be much of an issue. But if played correctly, you can easily take down even heavies. As you are faster, you're gonna need to learn how to use it to your advantage. I'm sure I've said it enough, but yeah. A key strategy for taking on heavies (to show an example of using speed to play with the other classes' weaknesses.) is while the heavy is shooting at you with "Sasha", you run behind him and start hitting him with your bat or scattergun or whatever. Immediately he spins around while still firing, so he can hit you, but since it takes a little bit for him to turn around, you follow his back while he's turning, and continue to hit him. Soon it just looks like you are running circles around him, as he desperately tries to find where you're hitting him from. Now most likely, there will be a point where you and his gun are in the same area. Now you can take a FEW hits, but you MUST make sure that you get out of the way before he can rip you apart. If done correctly, this will ultimately kill the heavy. Now don't try this when he has a medic with him, as you will quickly find out how lethal a medic can be to scouts.
Above all else, you need to know when to fight, and when to run. The scout won't last very long against most classes, ESPECIALLY groups. You'll need to learn when it's okay to fight, and when you should back off.
(((This'll be continued in the next few posts.)))
Back to top Go down
Scyne

Scyne

PostSubject: Re: Scout's guide in Team Fortress 2   Scout's guide in Team Fortress 2 EmptyTue Jun 09, 2009 2:45 am

The classes' weapons

The scout has three weapon slots. His scattergun/Force-a-nature, the pistol/BONK! atomic punch, and his bat/The Sandman. I will be going over each.

Scattergun-
The most useful weapon the scout possesses is his primary scattergun/Force-A-Nature. You'll be using it A LOT. This weapon is a BEAST at close range. and still pretty decent at borderline close-medium range. It can be fired while reloading, and is basically a shotgun. It is a very quick weapon, and you'll (most likely) learn how to use it pretty easily. It's best to keep moving, even when shooting this weapon. As it doesn't necessarily need to be aimed, it's more-so a point and shoot weapon. Pretty straight forward.
Force-A-Nature-
The Force-A-Nature replaces the scattergun for primary weapon when equipped. It fires faster, and has a huge knockback. Valve came up with a joke stating "Are you tired of things just falling dead when you shoot them instead of flying backward? Well this on-going problem has finally been fixed!" or something. The FaN allows you to also jump, fire at the ground, and get a small boost upward... kinda like a rocket jump, but not as big. So it might make up for the missing double jump if you've got the sandman equipped too

The pistol-
The pistol is very handy in combat situations. Is there a long ranged enemy that won't let you get in close with the scattergun or FaN? Well harass them with the pistol! Speedy reload, nice amount in a clip, this thing doesn't even seem to have a downside. But what's this?! You barely carry enough ammo for possibly three reloads! IF using this weapon a lot, expect to have to run to ammo boxes frequently. It fires as fast as you can click the mouse. and PROTIP: If you've got a laptop (like me lol) and are in a safe place to unload your pistol, take your left hand and mash the touchpads left clicker while you click on the mouse. Easily fires twice as fast, and while kinda unnecessary at times, it's still fun to watch the bullets fly like a sub machine gun.
BONK! Atomic Punch-
This energy drink makes a blur effect go over the scout, and allows you to run freely (in third person view) without fear of bullets. Or fire. Or explosions. BECAUSE EVERYTHING MISSES! while the effect is on, you won't be harmed by any otherwise lethal attacks. I haven't tested it with melee, but I'm sure that it works the same as any other attacks.

Bat-
What is there to say? A metal bat that let's you cave in people's skulls. When equipped, you're able to double jump, while equipping the sandman and replacing the bat takes away the ability. If you are to use the bat, make sure you've learned how to use your classes' speed to your advantage, otherwise you won't be able to get two swings in before you're dead.
The Sandman-
This weapon allows you to hit a baseball at the enemies to stun them. The farther away you hit the ball, the longer they are stunned if hit. When you've hit your baseball, you must either wait for your baseball to recharge, or go retrieve the baseball yourself. When you don't have a baseball, The Sandman acts as a normal bat. The Sandman also removes the ability to double jump, so choose wisely. PROTIP: When using the sandman, you can hit the baseball and go back to one of your health/ammo cabinets in the spawn to instantly get another, while keeping the baseball you hit beforehand out on the battlefield.
Back to top Go down
Scyne

Scyne

PostSubject: Re: Scout's guide in Team Fortress 2   Scout's guide in Team Fortress 2 EmptyTue Jun 09, 2009 3:27 am

Nemeses of the class
The mortal enemies of the Scout

Pyro-
Pretty much the absolute biggest concern of the class is the Pyro. Being able to take you down in a matter of seconds with his flamethrower, coupled with the fact that even if you kill him, there's still a chance his fire will burn you to death. He is the mortal enemy of the scout because both of their strengths lie in cqc, but the pyro bests the scout at it. A continues stream of flames can spell the end to most any scout, but there is still a chance to beat this nemesis. Three strategies work very well:
1. Using the sandman, stun the Pyro. He won't be out for long, but it'll give you enough time to do some damage before going in for the kill. As you'll still have to fight cqc, you won't be in with him for long. Immediately take out your pistol once the baseball is off. Even if it misses, you want to get a few hits in. unload atleast a clip at him and then bring out your scattergun/FaN. I would recommend the scattergun, but that's my opinion. After this it'll just be who can hit who more times, and hopefully grab a medkit before death.
2. Kite. Your teammates are there to help, and being as you're a scout, you'll need as much as you can get. Draw his attention and "kite" him back to your friends. For this strategy you must rely on other people being able to take down the lone flamer, but you SHOULD be able to get him.
3. Hit-n-run. This strategy works well with any class, and should be the most often used. Hit him with a scattergun burst or two, and run. Even if he manages to light you up, just run back to a medkit spawn and repeat the process.
With every strategy I STRONGLY encourage you learn the spawn points of both ammo, AND medkits. Scout's will need them A LOT.

The Engineer-
The lone engi isn't as threatening as he is with a lvl 3 sentry at his side. Take out the engi with the scattergun by making sure not to get hit. Zig-zag and run in random directions, double jump randomly, do anything out of the ordinary to catch him off guard. This strategy should also be used a lot for other battles against different classes. Just be on the lookout for his sentries and dispensers. Make sure to take out any building you find once the battle is over, but as I said before, lookout for sentries.
Is the room guarded by sentries? Well here is three strategies to follow when facing sentries:
1. wait for teammates to take them out
2. use your BONK! Atomic Punch to run past them to a safe place (not recommended for running through large rooms)
3. Do nothing.
Sorry to say, The engi's sentries are worse than any pyro is for the scout. They can shoot you from long distances, and hit you at close range, they drop your health in mere seconds, these things are scout death machines. You'll just have to wait until your teammates destroy them before continuing on. If you're lucky, you'll be able to corner-shoot them or whatever the term is. Where you peek around the corner enough for you to see them but they can't see you. I think the term is actually called "Edging" as it refers to how you shoot the edges of the buildings around the edges of the walls so that they explode without any danger to you.

Heavies-
At long range that is. They can tear you up before you can get to them, but this is easily fixed with a bit of footwork and BONK! Atomic Punch. just get in close while he doesn't see you, then unleash the ****ing fury.

other enemies to look out for

pretty much everyone else has ways of killing the scout. Even the medic's syringe gun can deplete this class of his tiny health bar. Just learn to use your speed to your advantage, like I've said oh so many times before. dodge rockets by jumping around, rush the snipers in weird paths, and spy check like crazy.
One awesome thing that a scout can do better than most classes is spy check. Only really bested by who else but the pyro, the scout can run around faster than any other class, right? well, everyone can run throuhg teammates, but you can't run through spies. so the scout can cover everyone twice as fast as other classes by just charging through all the teammates he can find. If you can't go through a person, shoot them to death, cuz they're a spy.
Stay away from the demoman's sticky bombs, and try to get up close and personal to kill him. He'll try and switch to his normal nade launcher, which is why you have to still dodge like a madman.
Back to top Go down
Scyne

Scyne

PostSubject: Re: Scout's guide in Team Fortress 2   Scout's guide in Team Fortress 2 EmptyTue Jun 09, 2009 3:37 am

Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven I'm writing this at 2 in the morning. sorry for stuff I typed that didn't make sense or something and stuff so yeah Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven

key things to remember
Learn where the medkits are
Learn when to fight and when to run
Don't always try to solo every battle. combine your strengths with those of your team to cover ALL your weaknesses. or in some cases, wait for teammates to help clear a path for you
Get up close. your class does the most damage when your up close shooting people in the face with your FaN/scattergun. Make sure to know when to get out though, and don't forget to do some damage with your pistol too. It's there for a reason.
Dodge. You can't take many hits, so always try to dodge when you can.
It's okay if you aren't getting as many kills as you would other classes. The point of the scout is to harass and disorganize the enemy. Doesn't mean you'll be alive every time once your mission is over.
Try out your other weapons! Is the double jump not helping out very much? would you rather be harassing that uber'd heavy than jumping around trying to dodge his mini-gun? Well break out the sandman and take a whack at him. Works on medics too : D

(((I'll add more to this when I feel there's more to add. I'm most likely also gonna post more guides for other classes if you guys liked this one)))
Back to top Go down
Scyne

Scyne

PostSubject: Re: Scout's guide in Team Fortress 2   Scout's guide in Team Fortress 2 EmptyTue Jun 09, 2009 3:38 am

(((This post is reserved for if I need to add more information)))
As for now you guys can post and stuff. Please leave some feedback and tell me this was helpful or not!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Scout's guide in Team Fortress 2   Scout's guide in Team Fortress 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Scout's guide in Team Fortress 2
Page 1 of 1