Uuttitan Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Uuttitan Community Forums

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

A Guide To Graphics.

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Noble Roar

Noble Roar

UT points : 6563

A Guide To Graphics. Empty
PostSubject: A Guide To Graphics.   A Guide To Graphics. EmptySat Dec 05, 2009 10:59 am

Hello everyone. I am here to give you some advice as to start getting into graphics and stating a successful shop.

1. Download/Purchase Adobe Photoshop (or Elements)/GIMP
You need some sort of graphic program if you want to be a graphic designer.
GIMP is a free program where you can get at..
gimp.org
I believe.
Photoshop is more advanced, but it requires money. If your school has a class that specializes in computer graphics, try asking that teacher if she/he can let you have a copy of Photoshop.

*NOTE*
If your a Mac user like me, you must have X11 installed if you want to use GIMP.

2. Get Familiar with your program
Get out a blank canvas and start messing around with it.
Learn how each tool works in each situation.
Some of the basic tools are stated below.
Spoiler:

3. Signature preference
THIS IS A VERY IMPORTANT STEP.
Your signature preference really kicks in when you start making signatures.
Just like it sounds, its a preference, so you need to fiddle around on which sizes you like. In general the maximum size a signature can be is 500 x 200.

4. If You Feel Comfortable enough, start reading some tutorials on beginning techniques.
*NOTE* If your a visual learner like me, you might have a hard time following traditional tutorials. If that's the case, watch some Tutorials on Youtube.*
Your not a full blown out professional yet, so try to read/watch some tutorials before you open a shop. This will get you even more familiar with your program, and you may learn some styles.

5. Learn At Least 3 Styles
If your opening a shop, people like to see variety. Have at least 3 styles or more ready for people too choose from. Try not to make them similar to each other. You'll learn more styles the more you mess around with your program and follow tutorials.

6. Get a Photobucket Account
Photobucket is a free image sharing site. You can easily obtain the [IMG] code when you post up your graphics for people to pick up.

7. If Your Clueless On How to Start A Shop....
If your totally lost on how to open your own shop, the first thing you need is a banner. Your banner is about 200 added pixels from your original signature preference. (EX if your preference is 150 x 400, try 350 x 600 for a banner)
Fiddle around to your liking.

The next thing you need to have is a set of rules for the shoppers to follow. Things like Spam, requests, trolling are worth mentioning.

You need to advertise your styles. To do this put bold lettering below where your styles would be. If you have a lot of them, you probably need to use [SPOILERS].

Banned users is a list for people who aren't allow to make requests. If you feel someone is breaking your rules, Set him/her on your ignore list and put their username on the ban list.

Request forms is a list of requirements need to make a signature. These are YOUR requirements. However, try to make them simple for members to fill out, you'll get a lot of mis-request if you make form too complex.

Pick up is a spot to where people can 'pick up' the graphics you've finished.
You should but the original [IMG] code, and in [CODE] your signature
EX
A Guide To Graphics. INSERT%20SIGNATURE%20HEREA Guide To Graphics. INSERT%20IMG%20CODE%20%20HERE
[IMG] INSERT IMG CODE HERE */IMG*
*brackets needed
[code]INSERT IMG CODE HERE[/code]

8. Remember To Be Realistic When Taking Graphic Requests.
If you seem to be a busy person, try to take 2 or 3 requests at a time.
If you've seem to have a lot of free time on your hands, you can go for 4 or 5 requests at a time. Remember, if you stress out, you'll never get anything done. In addition, try not to procrastinate too much, you may loose possible customers.

9. Have Fun
A graphic shop is more of a hobby thing than business. Which means that you shouldn't stress out about it. If you are busy or if you have something important coming up (EX. a test) then you have the right to close down your shop.

Other Important Mentionable Concepts

Keyboard Shortcuts.
If you've ever seen a pro graphic designer, you've probably seen him/her have a mouse/tablet in one hand and the other on the keyboard. These shortcuts allow for the editor to select tools quickly without having to go back and forth between their canvas and their toolbar.

To figure out the keyboard shortcut of a tool, hold your mouse over the tool like shown below
Spoiler:
Your photo editing program has defaulted shortcuts that can be edited to personal preference.

Please notify me about any errors in grammar or if you'd like to add something to the list.

Last edited by Noble Roar on Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:49 pm; edited 6 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://z3.invisionfree.com/The_Star/index.php?
Evil

Evil

UT points : 7656

PostSubject: Re: A Guide To Graphics.   A Guide To Graphics. EmptySat Dec 05, 2009 11:07 am

v More detailed guide when you're beginning.
Spoiler:

I suggest all of you go to gimptalk.com They have experts/pros that will help you :>
Back to top Go down
Noble Roar

Noble Roar

PostSubject: Re: A Guide To Graphics.   A Guide To Graphics. EmptySat Dec 05, 2009 12:59 pm

Evil wrote:
v More detailed guide when you're beginning.
Spoiler:

I suggest all of you go to gimptalk.com They have experts/pros that will help you :>

Thats basically what my guide is about though..
Back to top Go down
LucasFTW

LucasFTW

UT points : 6029

PostSubject: Re: A Guide To Graphics.   A Guide To Graphics. EmptyMon Dec 07, 2009 10:15 pm

Hmmm... Something your missing...

Well, i could tell you all the shortcut keys (like Ctrl+T) that i ALWAYS use for Photoshop. That is, if you want.
Back to top Go down
Noble Roar

Noble Roar

PostSubject: Re: A Guide To Graphics.   A Guide To Graphics. EmptyMon Dec 07, 2009 10:37 pm

LucasFTW wrote:
Hmmm... Something your missing...

Well, i could tell you all the shortcut keys (like Ctrl+T) that i ALWAYS use for Photoshop. That is, if you want.

Sure I can do that.
Back to top Go down
Evil

Evil

PostSubject: Re: A Guide To Graphics.   A Guide To Graphics. EmptyTue Dec 08, 2009 1:43 pm

Shortcuts can be modifiable too :>
Back to top Go down
Noble Roar

Noble Roar

PostSubject: Re: A Guide To Graphics.   A Guide To Graphics. EmptyTue Dec 08, 2009 2:11 pm

Evil wrote:
Shortcuts can be modifiable too :>

Well the shortcuts are on default when you first download the program.
Back to top Go down
Evil

Evil

PostSubject: Re: A Guide To Graphics.   A Guide To Graphics. EmptyTue Dec 08, 2009 3:31 pm

Yes, I know, thankyouverymuch. And depends for each version of the image editor you`re talking about.
Back to top Go down
Noble Roar

Noble Roar

PostSubject: Re: A Guide To Graphics.   A Guide To Graphics. EmptyTue Dec 08, 2009 4:10 pm

Evil wrote:
Yes, I know, thankyouverymuch. And depends for each version of the image editor you`re talking about.

mm..
Oh I know what to do

Give me a couple of minutes

Edit:
added
Back to top Go down
Noble Roar

Noble Roar

PostSubject: Re: A Guide To Graphics.   A Guide To Graphics. EmptySat Mar 20, 2010 12:08 pm

I DON'T THINK PEOPLE HAVE BEEN FOLLOWING MY ADVICE

so this thread is bumped Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A Guide To Graphics.   A Guide To Graphics. Empty

Back to top Go down

A Guide To Graphics.
Page 1 of 1