Uuttitan Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Uuttitan Community Forums

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What;s wrong with sparknotes? -_-

Go down 
+5
yoshibreathesfire
Evil
mrcatz
Gir
Pialga93
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Pialga93

Pialga93

UT points : 5765

What;s wrong with sparknotes? -_- Empty
PostSubject: What;s wrong with sparknotes? -_-   What;s wrong with sparknotes? -_- EmptyMon Oct 18, 2010 6:21 pm

So we have a paper we have to do on Beowulf and on the websites we can't use for sources is sparknotes, but why? Sparknotes has some excellent analysis's on books, and everyone treats the site the site like a joke. what are your guys' thoughts?
Back to top Go down
Gir

Gir

UT points : 6261

PostSubject: Re: What;s wrong with sparknotes? -_-   What;s wrong with sparknotes? -_- EmptyMon Oct 18, 2010 6:23 pm

Im guessing they want you to actually read it, instead of simply copy/pasting an analysis
Back to top Go down
mrcatz

mrcatz

UT points : 8676
Location : you wonder why your mom was acting strange this morning O.o

PostSubject: Re: What;s wrong with sparknotes? -_-   What;s wrong with sparknotes? -_- EmptyMon Oct 18, 2010 6:35 pm

Yeah I agree with gir. For each person who reads the book you have one who says he read it. It's a shame because sparknotes is an excellent site.
Back to top Go down
Pialga93

Pialga93

PostSubject: Re: What;s wrong with sparknotes? -_-   What;s wrong with sparknotes? -_- EmptyMon Oct 18, 2010 7:03 pm

mrcatz wrote:
Yeah I agree with gir. For each person who reads the book you have one who says he read it. It's a shame because sparknotes is an excellent site.
We read the entire book in-class :/ . The paper is an analysis on traits of the various kings in the book, and our teacher is requiring sources outside the book, so we technically are already in-taking information from the internet, but the site gets a bad rap, because when I asked my teacher, she cringed before she said said no, but the site is really good.
Back to top Go down
mrcatz

mrcatz

UT points : 8676
Location : you wonder why your mom was acting strange this morning O.o

PostSubject: Re: What;s wrong with sparknotes? -_-   What;s wrong with sparknotes? -_- EmptyMon Oct 18, 2010 7:57 pm

Pialga93 wrote:
mrcatz wrote:
We read the entire book in-class :/ . The paper is an analysis on traits of the various kings in the book, and our teacher is requiring sources outside the book, so we technically are already in-taking information from the internet, but the site gets a bad rap, because when I asked my teacher, she cringed before she said said no, but the site is really good.

I guess it just depends on the teacher. I've had a couple hwo weren't happy with it but the rest of my teachers like it
Back to top Go down
Evil

Evil

UT points : 7644

PostSubject: Re: What;s wrong with sparknotes? -_-   What;s wrong with sparknotes? -_- EmptyTue Oct 19, 2010 5:06 pm

The teachers want you to do the work.

Same deal with wikipedia.
Back to top Go down
yoshibreathesfire

yoshibreathesfire

UT points : 5156

PostSubject: Re: What;s wrong with sparknotes? -_-   What;s wrong with sparknotes? -_- EmptyTue Oct 19, 2010 5:46 pm

Evil wrote:
The teachers want you to do the work.

Same deal with wikipedia.
Most teachers don't like wikipedia because of the fact that anyone can edit it.
I use it regardless.
Although all of my friends say that most information on the internet is false.
Is the internet full of cake?
Oh I mean lies?

Back on topic.
Your teacher may not want you to go on the website because she wants you to get information directly from the book. That way it ensures that you're not copy pasting.
Back to top Go down
song0flife

song0flife

UT points : 5841

PostSubject: Re: What;s wrong with sparknotes? -_-   What;s wrong with sparknotes? -_- EmptyWed Oct 20, 2010 1:12 pm

http://objection.mrdictionary.net/go.php?n=4431067
Back to top Go down
Pialga93

Pialga93

PostSubject: Re: What;s wrong with sparknotes? -_-   What;s wrong with sparknotes? -_- EmptyWed Oct 20, 2010 2:41 pm

song0flife wrote:
http://objection.mrdictionary.net/go.php?n=4431067
Objection! "We read the entire book in-class :/ . The paper is an analysis on traits of the various kings in the book, and our teacher is requiring sources outside the book"
Back to top Go down
Kanrik
Admin
Admin
Kanrik

UT points : 14540
Location : The Distortion World, its beautiful this time of year

PostSubject: Re: What;s wrong with sparknotes? -_-   What;s wrong with sparknotes? -_- EmptyWed Oct 20, 2010 2:58 pm

Reading an analysis to make an analysis defeats the purpose. When your teacher said "outside the book", she means do background research on the subject matter of the book, and come up with an analysis based off of real world experiences.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/pkTrainerKanrik
Elfar
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Elfar

UT points : 6557

PostSubject: Re: What;s wrong with sparknotes? -_-   What;s wrong with sparknotes? -_- EmptyThu Oct 21, 2010 7:20 pm

Kanrik wrote:
Reading an analysis to make an analysis defeats the purpose. When your teacher said "outside the book", she means do background research on the subject matter of the book, and come up with an analysis based off of real world experiences.

Well, well, Kanrik. I was considering clever responses to this topic but you summed up the situation pretty well.

If you base your analysis on another's thoughts, you're not giving your own opinion and analysis of the characters, which she wants you to do.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/elfarz
Temius

Temius

UT points : 5601

PostSubject: Re: What;s wrong with sparknotes? -_-   What;s wrong with sparknotes? -_- EmptySun Oct 24, 2010 2:17 pm

other students love sparknotes, but teachers want you to actually read the book
Back to top Go down
Pialga93

Pialga93

PostSubject: Re: What;s wrong with sparknotes? -_-   What;s wrong with sparknotes? -_- EmptySun Oct 24, 2010 4:29 pm

Temius wrote:
other students love sparknotes, but teachers want you to actually read the book
rabbit for the fifth time to everyone I already read the book.
Back to top Go down
Temius

Temius

UT points : 5601

PostSubject: Re: What;s wrong with sparknotes? -_-   What;s wrong with sparknotes? -_- EmptySun Oct 24, 2010 4:58 pm

then why the hell are you using sparknotes?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What;s wrong with sparknotes? -_-   What;s wrong with sparknotes? -_- Empty

Back to top Go down

What;s wrong with sparknotes? -_-
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Uuttitan Forums :: Reality :: General Discussion-
Jump to: