Uuttitan Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Uuttitan Community Forums

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Hitmontop - The Spinning Death Trap

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
ARandomBoy

ARandomBoy

UT points : 5646

Hitmontop - The Spinning Death Trap Empty
PostSubject: Hitmontop - The Spinning Death Trap   Hitmontop - The Spinning Death Trap EmptySat Jan 09, 2010 10:33 pm

Hitmontop has a fantastic base 110 base SpDEF stat, along with the ability Intimidate, a decent 95 DEF stat, and access to Bulk Up. Hitmontop's only (though arguably major) drawback is its saddening base 50 HP. But, you get what you get, and you work with it.

Hitmontop@Leftovers
252 HP / 4 ATK / 252 SpDEF
Careful
Intimidate

-Bulk Up
-Hi Jump Kick / Brick Break
-Sucker Punch
-Stone Edge / Rest

You love it, don't you? Lefties are lefties; they add to your duration. The shown EVs and nature fully maximize special bulkiness. Intimidate is used here to further shut down physical attackers, and Technician has little use on this set. Bulk Up boosts Hitmontop's 'decent' ATK stat, along with DEF as well. Hi Jump Kick on a Hitmontop? Strange, but powerful. Close Combat would defeat the purpose of this set, and considering I'm not using Technician, Mach Punch wouldn't do a ton of good. Brick Break is the more accurate though noticeably less powerful option. It also has that helpful ability to break screens. Sucker Punch provides fantastic coverage along with the Fighting-type move of choice, while the last slot is up for grabs. Stone Edge hits the hopeful Flying-types and whatnot, while Rest adds further to duration. I can Bulk Up, Bulk Up, Rest, then rinse and repeat until I am satisfyed and then attempt to pull off a sweep.

Constructive criticism is appreciated. Thanks! Razz
Back to top Go down
Coaster
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Coaster

UT points : 6557

PostSubject: Re: Hitmontop - The Spinning Death Trap   Hitmontop - The Spinning Death Trap EmptySat Jan 09, 2010 11:15 pm

Nice set you got going on here. Rest over Stone Edge mainly just for survival. You won't outspeed Swellow and Alakazam, two pokemon that scare off Hitmontop, but you'll KO with Sucker Punch, which works as your priority. Plus Weezing, Rotom, Arcanine etc. could come in and ruin your fun with Will-o-Wisp or Toxic, thus making it useless. Also to note, non-Choice Spec Alakazam 2HKOs Hitmontop with Psychic, so prediction will have to come in handy, really only against a Substitute Calm Mind set. I would run Hi-Jump Kick over Brick Break since I prefer power over accuracy, but everyone is open to their own opinion.
Obviously Intimidate would be the best choice for this set, but Technician does have it's goodies with a different movepool:

ARandomBoy wrote:

Hitmontop@Leftovers
252 HP / 4 ATK / 252 SpDEF
Careful
Technician

- Bulk Up
- Mach Punch
- Revenge
- Rest

Revenge gets ten more base power than Sucker Punch with Technician, and hits 180 base when attacked. Mach Punch gives you priority with 70 base power. Even though his STAB is weaker, Revenge hits hard on anything else. Both sets will work great once Hitmontop's threats are in check.
Back to top Go down
Greene

Greene

UT points : 7480

PostSubject: Re: Hitmontop - The Spinning Death Trap   Hitmontop - The Spinning Death Trap EmptySun Jan 10, 2010 8:35 am

I'd agree on Mach Punch being your STAB move of choice here, though I wouldn't suggest Revenge also since then you are walled by ghosts. But Payback works in a similar vein and will give you almost perfect coverage.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/Greene1516
ARandomBoy

ARandomBoy

UT points : 5646

PostSubject: Re: Hitmontop - The Spinning Death Trap   Hitmontop - The Spinning Death Trap EmptySun Jan 10, 2010 9:08 am

By losing Intimidate for Technician, I become considerably less bulky. In my opinion, it's pretty nice being able to switch into most physical attackers lacking a SE move.

Coaster wrote:

Revenge gets ten more base power than Sucker Punch with Technician, and hits 180 base when attacked. Mach Punch gives you priority with 70 base power.
I am not really sure how you're getting these calculations. STAB Technician Mach Punch is 90 power (40 x 1.5 (Tech) = 60 x 1.5 (STAB) = 90). And for Revenge (60 x 1.5 (Tech) = 90 x 1.5 (STAB) = 135 x 2 (if the opponent attacks) = 270), it is 135 power if they do not attack, which is less than a STAB Hi Jump Kick (100 x 1.5 (STAB) = 150). And 270 if they do attack. Yes, 270 power. Massive. But, Revenge has a negative priority, which can arguably be good or bad, depending on the situation.
Back to top Go down
Coaster
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Coaster

UT points : 6557

PostSubject: Re: Hitmontop - The Spinning Death Trap   Hitmontop - The Spinning Death Trap EmptySun Jan 10, 2010 11:47 am

ARandomBoy wrote:
By losing Intimidate for Technician, I become considerably less bulky. In my opinion, it's pretty nice being able to switch into most physical attackers lacking a SE move.

Coaster wrote:

Revenge gets ten more base power than Sucker Punch with Technician, and hits 180 base when attacked. Mach Punch gives you priority with 70 base power.
I am not really sure how you're getting these calculations. STAB Technician Mach Punch is 90 power (40 x 1.5 (Tech) = 60 x 1.5 (STAB) = 90). And for Revenge (60 x 1.5 (Tech) = 90 x 1.5 (STAB) = 135 x 2 (if the opponent attacks) = 270), it is 135 power if they do not attack, which is less than a STAB Hi Jump Kick (100 x 1.5 (STAB) = 150). And 270 if they do attack. Yes, 270 power. Massive. But, Revenge has a negative priority, which can arguably be good or bad, depending on the situation.
My bad. Was thinking Revenge was a Dark type move.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hitmontop - The Spinning Death Trap   Hitmontop - The Spinning Death Trap Empty

Back to top Go down

Hitmontop - The Spinning Death Trap
Page 1 of 1