Uuttitan Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Uuttitan Community Forums

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

RMT: Mono Flying

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
neutral777

neutral777

UT points : 5723

RMT: Mono Flying Empty
PostSubject: RMT: Mono Flying   RMT: Mono Flying EmptyFri Mar 12, 2010 10:58 pm

I'd like to start this team rate with a very crucial observation. The posting of singular sets for a singular Pokemon is starting to really frustrate me for the following reason: There is no point. In theory, any set on a Pokemon can be effective given the proper team support. So, I don't care to see your creative Special Attacking Scizor set unless you post how you plan to generate a viable support network around it. The only thing accomplished by posted a set is to give people who want to use "original" sets something to copy. Bottom line, post full TEAMS, not some individual team member you happen to want to show off. Thanks.

I was playing around with mono-type ideas and I decided to generate a mono-Flying. Flying is, for the most part, a sub-type so I had a lot of options to choose from. I've noticed that there are not many flying Pokemon with a strong special defensive spread of base stats. I'm hoping Gen.5 will fix that.

One HUGE problem this team faces is that of Stealth Rock. Delibird is the only flying Pokemon with Rapid Spin and it is far too lame to pull that off with any success. I had to scheme a way around it so this is my best shot:

RMT: Mono Flying 142
Aerodactyl (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide

Aerodactyl is serving as my Lead/anit-Lead. Taunt is to prevent Stealth Rock as much as possible. Rock Slide is for the potential flinch and accuracy. Stealth Rock and Earthquake were the most adequate filler. Once the sash breaks, I can use this as set-up for a revenge kill.

RMT: Mono Flying 472
Gliscor (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Hyper Cutter
EVs: 252 HP/40 Atk/216 Spd
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Roost
- Stone Edge

Everyone should have seen this coming as Gliscor is staple for every mono-Flying team. This Pokemon keeps electric attacks and Thunder Wave away. After a Swords Dance, Gliscor can take out intense chunks of HP on switches and Roost keeps the good guy around to further his job against lightning. Another bonus is the neutral damage from Rock attacks, which my team also appreciates.

RMT: Mono Flying 130
Gyarados (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 156 HP/72 Atk/96 Def/184 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Stone Edge
- Bounce

Another mono-flying Staple, Gyarados is my best chance at Ice resist. I chose a bulkier variant to ensure that he sticks around. As for the moveset, Waterfall and Bounce provide great STAB. Bounce's free turn gives me a free turn to recover with lefties and the hit does pretty nice damage and has that sweet chance for paralysis. Stone Edge is Stone Edge.

RMT: Mono Flying 468
Togekiss (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 4 Def/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Modest nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Air Slash
- Aura Sphere
- Flamethrower
- Trick

My revenge sweeper/stall breaker, Togekiss can defend against ghost attacks then abuse Serene Grace Air Slash. Togekiss has some meat on its bones so taking hits isn't as dangerous as it would be for some other Normal flyers.

RMT: Mono Flying 227
Skarmory (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Keen Eye
EVs: 252 HP/4 Def/252 SDef
Impish nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Spikes
- Whirlwind

Some people may think I am ridiculous for using a Sp.Def Skarm but hear me out. Steel/Flying provides a lot of nice Special resistances. Psychic, Dark, Grass, Dragon, Bug, Ground, Ghost, Steel, and Flying special attacks are shrugged off and Roosted. Skarm still boasts impressive physical defense as well. Spikes and well as Stealth Rock can help me speed a battle up so that my flyers can start dishing heavy damage on the switch-ins.

RMT: Mono Flying 169
Crobat (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 104 HP/152 Atk/252 Spd
- Super Fang
- Taunt
- Roost
- U-turn

Crobat was a last minute decision based on the need for anti-stealth rock support. Taunt + Crobat's speed is my saving grace. Super Fang is the sweetest thing. Roost and U-turn seemed like good filler at the time. Crobat practically absorbs Fighting, Grass and Bug attacks, as if I needed the support. Haha.

Last edited by neutral777 on Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
ARandomBoy

ARandomBoy

UT points : 5647

PostSubject: Re: RMT: Mono Flying   RMT: Mono Flying EmptySat Mar 13, 2010 9:10 am

On Crobat, I highly recommend Super Fang. With it and Taunt, Crobat is a great for thwomping walls and stallers.

For example, their Registeel takes out your Gyarados with an unexpected Thunder Punch (unlikely, but it will have to do for this example). You bring in your Crobat, Taunt it as it fails to TWave you, then Super Fang to cut its HP in half, making the steel beast much less scary.

It's a very reliable move to have, and you already have Togekiss for Air Slash flinching. Plus, you may hit something on the switch that you desperately need damage on.
Back to top Go down
neutral777

neutral777

PostSubject: Re: RMT: Mono Flying   RMT: Mono Flying EmptySat Mar 13, 2010 12:34 pm

ARandomBoy wrote:
On Crobat, I highly recommend Super Fang. With it and Taunt, Crobat is a great for thwomping walls and stallers.

For example, their Registeel takes out your Gyarados with an unexpected Thunder Punch (unlikely, but it will have to do for this example). You bring in your Crobat, Taunt it as it fails to TWave you, then Super Fang to cut its HP in half, making the steel beast much less scary.

It's a very reliable move to have, and you already have Togekiss for Air Slash flinching. Plus, you may hit something on the switch that you desperately need damage on.

I totally forgot that Crobat could Super Fang! Good call.
Back to top Go down
Herpdidderp

Herpdidderp

UT points : 5284

PostSubject: Re: RMT: Mono Flying   RMT: Mono Flying EmptySat Mar 13, 2010 3:25 pm

A huge weakness I see is that your team cannot touch Vaporeon and Crocune can decimate you. The only real option I see is trying to Trick on time though you'd have to catch Cune before it sets up and Vaporeon can Protect scout it. Zapdos > Crobat can help a lot.

Stall obviously wrecks you. Gliscor will be doing too much switching and healing most times so having SD seems like a waste of a moveslot. Taunt/Toxic/Roost/Earthquake Gliscor breaks a lot of walls and is possibly the best shot on your team at breaking stall.

It seems like you want a more offensive Gyarados with your moveset. Try that or replacing either Bounce or Stone Edge (I suggest Bounce) with Taunt, Roar, or Thunder Wave. If you add Taunt to Gyarados I wouldn't recommend using it on Gliscor and vice versa.

The Sp.D Skarm set is fine, people who would tell you otherwise shouldn't be listened to. However you should invest a bit into Def, just enough to hit a jump point or switch your nature to a + Sp.D.

@ARandomBoy: Don't use examples, especially ones that are implausible. Registeel is a rare sight in OU and either way it would be more efficient for the team if he switched Skarmory into Spike and wall Registeel or Gliscor to set up or force it out. If you suggest something that is logical and sound it shouldn't need an example.
Back to top Go down
neutral777

neutral777

PostSubject: Re: RMT: Mono Flying   RMT: Mono Flying EmptySat Mar 13, 2010 7:17 pm

Herpdidderp wrote:
A huge weakness I see is that your team cannot touch Vaporeon and Crocune can decimate you. The only real option I see is trying to Trick on time though you'd have to catch Cune before it sets up and Vaporeon can Protect scout it. Zapdos > Crobat can help a lot.

Stall obviously wrecks you. Gliscor will be doing too much switching and healing most times so having SD seems like a waste of a moveslot. Taunt/Toxic/Roost/Earthquake Gliscor breaks a lot of walls and is possibly the best shot on your team at breaking stall.

It seems like you want a more offensive Gyarados with your moveset. Try that or replacing either Bounce or Stone Edge (I suggest Bounce) with Taunt, Roar, or Thunder Wave. If you add Taunt to Gyarados I wouldn't recommend using it on Gliscor and vice versa.

The Sp.D Skarm set is fine, people who would tell you otherwise shouldn't be listened to. However you should invest a bit into Def, just enough to hit a jump point or switch your nature to a + Sp.D.

@ARandomBoy: Don't use examples, especially ones that are implausible. Registeel is a rare sight in OU and either way it would be more efficient for the team if he switched Skarmory into Spike and wall Registeel or Gliscor to set up or force it out. If you suggest something that is logical and sound it shouldn't need an example.

A. What type Zapdos were you thinking?

2. How do you think I should allocate the Def EVs on Skarm?
Back to top Go down
Herpdidderp

Herpdidderp

UT points : 5284

PostSubject: Re: RMT: Mono Flying   RMT: Mono Flying EmptySat Mar 13, 2010 7:48 pm

I'd say a defensive spread of sorts.
RMT: Mono Flying 145
Zapdos@Leftovers
Bold, Pressure
252 HP/ 156 Defense/ 104 Speed

- Roost
- Thunderbolt
- Heat Wave
- Light Screen/Hidden Power: Grass

Pretty standard kind of stuff, my personal set of Ev's. Outruns Adamant Gyarados and Jolly Breloom and Metagross. Only thing you really need to worry about is the last slot. Light Screen helps your team against the biggest threat to you I didn't see: Latias and your obvious Ice weakness. HP-Grass hits Swampert who Roar's a vast majority of your team without an issue.

The Spiker Skarm spread I tend to suggest is 252 HP/ 96 Defense/ 160 Special Defense Impish nature. Prevents +1 Salamence from 2HKOing with Outrage after switching into SR and the rest into Sp.D. Everything you're hitting with Brave Bird is already dealt with by Gliscor or Gyarados so you can look at opening that spot up for moves like Taunt, Torment, Stealth Rock, or Toxic.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: RMT: Mono Flying   RMT: Mono Flying Empty

Back to top Go down

RMT: Mono Flying
Page 1 of 1