Uuttitan Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Uuttitan Community Forums

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Competitive Battling Team, First Draft

Go down 
+2
noheartx
Doctor Dern
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Doctor Dern

Doctor Dern

UT points : 5155

Competitive Battling Team, First Draft Empty
PostSubject: Competitive Battling Team, First Draft   Competitive Battling Team, First Draft EmptyTue Apr 20, 2010 7:08 pm

This is just a team I cooked up to get started. It is not set in stone in any way, so be as brutal as you want with criticism. The team is supposed to be unconventional, so I hope you find it to be that way.

The BOOT (Hitmonlee) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Limber
EVs: 252 Atk, 252 Spe, 4 SDef
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
Moves:
-Fake Out
-Brick Break
-Sucker Punch
-Blaze Kick/Earthquake/Reversal

Rather than go with the usual leads, I tried to make The BOOT capable of eliminating said leads. I feel that Fake Out is a decent way to start, since I've been able to deal relatively effective damage in the past with it. Brick Break is not only STAB, but also gets rid of light screen/reflect. Sucker Punch is just to account for psychic and ghost guys. I'm undecided with the last move: Blaze Kick handles Skarmory leads, but Earthquake is often a viable choice as well, and I thought Reversal could be of use in the clutch (please help here).

BARKnBAKE (Arcanine) (M) @ Liechi Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs:252 Atk, 252 Spe, 4 SDef
Jolly Nature (+Spe, -SAtk)
Moves:
-Extremespeed
-Iron Head
-Thunder Fang/Reversal
-Flare Blitz

I wanted to experiment with Arcanine as my physical sweeper, so I came up with this. Extremespeed is an all-around good move, and Iron Head helps against rock types (and with flinching). Thunder Fang I thought would be useful against water types, but considering my special sweeper (see next pokemon), I decided that Reversal might help with recoil from STAB flare blitz.

Sublight (Lanturn) (F) @ Salac Berry
Ability: Volt Absorb
252 SAtk, 252 Spe, 4 HP
Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
Moves:
-Surf
-Thunderbolt
-Ice Beam
-Confuse Ray

This is my special sweeper, with STAB Surf and Thunderbolt (mainly for water/ground/rock types) and Ice beam to cover grass types. Confuse ray is sort of a random filler, and I would like some input as to if I should replace it/what I should replace it with.

Dark Titan (Dusknoir) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP, 252 Def, 4 Atk
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
Moves:
-Will-o-Wisp
-Pain Split
-Night Shade
-Brick Break

My physical wall. I'm following the usual Will-o-Wisp and Pain Split, since they can be very useful, with the addition of Night Shade as a stable form of attack, and Brick Break to handle any normal types. I might switch him out for a Skarmory, to handle Earthquakers, but I'm pretty confident in what I've seen this guy do against my friends.

Fallstar (Spiritomb) (F) @ Leftovers/Lum Berry
EVs: 252 SDef, 252 HP, 4 Def
Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spe)
Moves:
-Pain Split
-Toxic
-Shockwave
-Shadow Sneak

My special wall. Pain Split, Toxic, and Shadow Sneak are there to whittle away at the opponents health. Shockwave is there because I have noticed that many special sweepers are water types.

Kika*skhan (Kangaskhan) (F) @ Salac Berry
Ability: Early Bird
EVs: 252 Def, 128 Atk, 128 HP
Moves:
-Avalanche
-Return
-Earthquake
-Rest

I'm not really sure exactly what role this Kangaskhan plays. All I'm sure of is that it has bailed me out of numerous life-or-death scenarios. I don't care how sceptical you are, this thing is a beast. Be careful with your criticism on this one, or else you might find out why I named her Kika*skhan.

So criticize, be as cruel as you like, make any suggestions at all.
*Paints target on shirt and braces self*
Ok, go.
Back to top Go down
noheartx

noheartx

UT points : 5445

PostSubject: Re: Competitive Battling Team, First Draft   Competitive Battling Team, First Draft EmptyTue Apr 20, 2010 7:41 pm

i have a lead hitmonlee sorta similar same EVs cept moves were mach punch sucker punch close combat fake out it works pretty well but it usually dies quickley
Back to top Go down
Shnoogle

Shnoogle

UT points : 7716

PostSubject: Re: Competitive Battling Team, First Draft   Competitive Battling Team, First Draft EmptyTue Apr 20, 2010 9:42 pm

Doctor Dern wrote:
This is just a team I cooked up to get started. It is not set in stone in any way, so be as brutal as you want with criticism.The team is supposed to be unconventional, so I hope you find it to be that way.

I will be Smile

The BOOT (Hitmonlee) (M) @ Life Orb Focus Sash
Ability: Limber
EVs: 252 Atk, 252 Spe, 4 SDef
Moves:
-Fake Out
-Brick Break Close Combat
-Sucker Punch
-Blaze Kick/Earthquake/Reversal Stone Edge

Rather than go with the usual leads, I tried to make The BOOT capable of eliminating said leads. I feel that Fake Out is a decent way to start, since I've been able to deal relatively effective damage in the past with it. Brick Break is not only STAB, but also gets rid of light screen/reflect. Sucker Punch is just to account for psychic and ghost guys. I'm undecided with the last move: Blaze Kick handles Skarmory leads, but Earthquake is often a viable choice as well, and I thought Reversal could be of use in the clutch (please help here).

Life orb on a frail lead is not very good, especially when so many other leads have a focus sash. Close Combat is wayyyy better than brick break, as it has 45 more base power (that's not counting STAB) than brick break, turning many 2HKOs or 3HKOs into OHKOs or 2HKOs, respectively. Stone edge is your best option to dispose of lead moltres, as your sash saves you when they air slash, and you KO with stone edge. It is your best option against Flyers in general as well.

BARKnBAKE (Arcanine) (M) @ Liechi Berry Life Orb
Ability: Intimidate
EVs:252 Atk, 252 Spe, 4 SDef
Jolly Nature (+Spe, -SAtk)
Moves:
-Extremespeed
-Iron Head Morning Sun
-Thunder Fang/Reversal Toxic
-Flare Blitz

I wanted to experiment with Arcanine as my physical sweeper, so I came up with this. Extremespeed is an all-around good move, and Iron Head helps against rock types (and with flinching). Thunder Fang I thought would be useful against water types, but considering my special sweeper (see next pokemon), I decided that Reversal might help with recoil from STAB flare blitz.

Liechi Berry really is useless when you don't have substitute or Endure to activate it, and even then your main STAB move will ruin your sweep so it is not advised. Life Orb is a great item on a sweeper to get that extra power on extremespeed and flare blitz. Now I know what you aree thinking... Life Orb AND Flare Blitz?? Well, yes. Morning sun is a great recovery move that arcanine has at its disposal and it can use its ability to force switches as well as use its bulk to recover the recoil damage when necessary. Iron Head won't do much to the likes of Rhyperior, Golem, Regirock etc... anyways, so Morning Sun is easily the better move. Thunder fang wont do much to bulky waters with its mediocre 65 base power and no STAB, so toxic is a good option to catch them on the switch and cripple them for the rest of the match, as they cannot just slack off/recover Toxic damage over time as they can do with weak thunder fangs.

Sublight (Lanturn) (F) @ Salac Berry Leftovers
Ability: Volt Absorb
252 SAtk, 252 Spe, 4 HP 40 HP / 76 Def / 140 SpA / 252 SpD
Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk) Calm Nature... +Sp. Def, -Attack
Moves:
-Surf
-Thunderbolt
-Ice Beam
-Confuse Ray Heal Bell/Thunderwave

This is my special sweeper, with STAB Surf and Thunderbolt (mainly for water/ground/rock types) and Ice beam to cover grass types. Confuse ray is sort of a random filler, and I would like some input as to if I should replace it/what I should replace it with.

I honestly don't understand why you made Lanturn a special sweeper... Base 76 Sp. Attack and Base 67 Speed are not sweeping stats in any circumstance except Little Cup. You should make this your special sponge instead of Spiritomb (who is a better physical wall due to its access to Will-o-Wisp). Give it an EV spread of 40 HP / 76 Def / 140 SpA / 252 SpD with a Calm nature. Ripped right from Smogon, this is the best Special Defensive Tank EV spread for Lanturn you will find, giving you 401 HP (a Leftovers threshold), maximum Sp. Def, and a little defensive survivability, while still hitting hard with special attacks. You should still keep your 3 attacks (Ice beam, Thunderbolt and Surf) on the moveset, but add either Heal Bell or Thunderwave to support the team.

Dark Titan (Dusknoir) (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP, 252 Def, 4 Atk
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
Moves:
-Will-o-Wisp
-Pain Split
-Night Shade
-Brick Break

My physical wall. I'm following the usual Will-o-Wisp and Pain Split, since they can be very useful, with the addition of Night Shade as a stable form of attack, and Brick Break to handle any normal types. I might switch him out for a Skarmory, to handle Earthquakers, but I'm pretty confident in what I've seen this guy do against my friends.

Since this is the only OU pokemon you have on the team, I would suggest replacing it with a UU pokemon so you can have an easier time in battles, as your team is weak to MANY common OU threats (Gyarados, Salamence, Latias, DD Tar, Flygon, Physical Infernape etc... to name a few). Making Spiritomb your physical wall now that Lanturn is your special wall will bring you many benefits because you will not have to face these threats among many others. Give it a set like this -

Spiritomb @ Leftovers
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Sp. Def
Impish Nature... +Def, - Sp. Attack
~Will-O-Wisp
~Pain Split
~Sucker Punch
~Taunt/Pursuit

Spirtomb is a little lacking in the movepool department, but he is still a good wall in UU. Will-O-Wisp and Pain Split are obvious givens, and Sucker punch helps Spiritomb bypass its terrible speed, while also being his most powerful physical attack. Taunt prevents opponents from setting up on you, most significantly substitute users and specially orientated pokemon. Pursuit is a good move to have on a defensive pokemon like spiritomb to dispose of runners who fear Will-O-Wisp.

Fallstar (Spiritomb) (F) @ Leftovers/Lum Berry
EVs: 252 SDef, 252 HP, 4 Def
Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spe)
Moves:
-Pain Split
-Toxic
-Shockwave
-Shadow Sneak

My special wall. Pain Split, Toxic, and Shadow Sneak are there to whittle away at the opponents health. Shockwave is there because I have noticed that many special sweepers are water types.

Since I suggested a Spiritomb being used in a different way, you cannot use this pokemon again. (Species Clause)
So, you need a replacement pokemon... I'll help with this later, but right now I don't want to sort through your weaknesses etc... because it is really late.

Kika*skhan (Kangaskhan) (F) @ Salac Berry Leftovers (Aids greatly in a Rester's survivability)
Ability: Early Bird
EVs: 252 Def, 128 Atk, 128 HP 252 HP / 216 Speed / 40 Def
Moves:
-Avalanche
-Return
-Earthquake
-Rest

I'm not really sure exactly what role this Kangaskhan plays. All I'm sure of is that it has bailed me out of numerous life-or-death scenarios. I don't care how skeptical you are, this thing is a beast. Be careful with your criticism on this one, or else you might find out why I named her Kika*skhan.

I like the Early Bird, one turn rest combo, but there can be improvements. I agree, Kangaskhan is severely underrated, having used one myself to great success (A Sub-Punch Variant with Substitute, Focus Punch, Sucker Punch, and Return). Your EV spread is a bit random. Use 252 HP, 216 Speed, 40 Def with an Adamant Nature instead. This allows you to retain your physical bulk, while outspeeding all common UU fighting types except Hitmonlee (which would take a Jolly Nature and 232 Speed EVs to out speed max Speed variants) so you can hit them with an EQ (Blaziken and Toxicroak) or a Return (Hitmontop, Hitmonchan etc...) to try to finish them off before they can touch you with their STAB fighting moves.

So criticize, be as cruel as you like, make any suggestions at all.
*Paints target on shirt and braces self*
Ok, go.

Last edited by Shnoogle on Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/OctopusOoze
Doctor Dern

Doctor Dern

PostSubject: Re: Competitive Battling Team, First Draft   Competitive Battling Team, First Draft EmptyWed Apr 21, 2010 6:40 am

Ok, I'll take your advice, but I do have a few questions/comments.

First off, I did consider Close Combat highly on Hitmonlee, I just wanted to go with Brick Break to shut down double screeners. Still, I'll take Close Combat into consideration again (I'll take the rest of your advice).

Secondly, I have a question regarding your criticism of Kangaskhan. If I put in those speed EVs, she'll still be slower than most dragons, right? Because I usually have Kangaskhan get hit by a dragon, then Avalanche it for an OHKO (followed by a quick rest).

By the way, thanks for criticism that was actually constructive. People at other places I went to just kind of said "You're a lame noob" and nothing else.
Back to top Go down
Shnoogle

Shnoogle

PostSubject: Re: Competitive Battling Team, First Draft   Competitive Battling Team, First Draft EmptyWed Apr 21, 2010 10:49 am

Doctor Dern wrote:

First off, I did consider Close Combat highly on Hitmonlee, I just wanted to go with Brick Break to shut down double screeners. Still, I'll take Close Combat into consideration again (I'll take the rest of your advice).

Secondly, I have a question regarding your criticism of Kangaskhan. If I put in those speed EVs, she'll still be slower than most dragons, right? Because I usually have Kangaskhan get hit by a dragon, then Avalanche it for an OHKO (followed by a quick rest).

By the way, thanks for criticism that was actually constructive. People at other places I went to just kind of said "You're a lame noob" and nothing else.

lol thanks Smile

I know why you originally chose brick break, but dual screeners are so uncommon that the extra power from Close Combat is generally superior. Still, if you are a little paranoid of them, feel free to run brick break, as it is more of a preference thing.

I suggested you make this team UU by removing dusknoir, so you will not even have to worry about dragons. The only dragon type in UU is the rare Altaria. You will outspeed with those EVs but get this - Avalanche has a priority of -4, meaning that it will almost always go last regardless of speed. The only moves that will go after Avalanche are:

-5 Priority: Counter, Mirror Coat
-6 Priority: Roar, Whirlwind
-7 Priority: Trick Room

Altaria normally does not carry any of these moves (nor does any other dragon if you do play this in OU) so you are fine running 216 Speed EVs.
Back to top Go down
nikodem123asdf

nikodem123asdf

UT points : 5722

PostSubject: Re: Competitive Battling Team, First Draft   Competitive Battling Team, First Draft EmptyWed Apr 21, 2010 12:33 pm

may i suggest an alternative set for your arkanine Very Happy

Arcanine(RK9)@salac berry
flash fire
lonely
252att/252spe/6spatt
-endure
-reversal
-crunch
-overheat

combination of fighting and dark type attacks gives you preety neat cover sedisted only by toxicroag and heracross (which you can take out easly with your OVERHEAT! Twisted Evil ) even with almost no ev in special attack overheat is still enormously powerful flash fire is there so you can easier go down to salac berry activation area (after getting down to ~20% of hp your reversal will have 100 BP which is already acceptable) i chose salac berry for you because although every poke-dex entry mentions arcanine speed being unmatchable he gets out-speeded by many pokes...

sorry for my terrible grammar i am not english Sad
Back to top Go down
Duskboi

Duskboi

UT points : 5196

PostSubject: Re: Competitive Battling Team, First Draft   Competitive Battling Team, First Draft EmptyWed Apr 21, 2010 2:03 pm

Shnoogle wrote:
Doctor Dern wrote:

lol thanks Smile

I know why you originally chose brick break, but dual screeners are so uncommon that the extra power from Close Combat is generally superior. Still, if you are a little paranoid of them, feel free to run brick break, as it is more of a preference thing.

I suggested you make this team UU by removing dusknoir, so you will not even have to worry about dragons. The only dragon type in UU is the rare Altaria. You will outspeed with those EVs but get this - Avalanche has a priority of -4, meaning that it will almost always go last regardless of speed. The only moves that will go after Avalanche are:

-5 Priority: Counter, Mirror Coat
-6 Priority: Roar, Whirlwind
-7 Priority: Trick Room

Altaria normally does not carry any of these moves (nor does any other dragon if you do play this in OU) so you are fine running 216 Speed EVs.

Ye and why would you use kangaskhan in Ou anyways Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Duskboi

Duskboi

PostSubject: Re: Competitive Battling Team, First Draft   Competitive Battling Team, First Draft EmptyWed Apr 21, 2010 2:10 pm

Oh and btw snhoogle this i skinda random but i got a gyrados with 31 spped ad 29 atk ivs and i have finished eving it. It work with both stone edge and bounce so im still on the fence about that Smile
Back to top Go down
Doctor Dern

Doctor Dern

PostSubject: Re: Competitive Battling Team, First Draft   Competitive Battling Team, First Draft EmptyWed Apr 21, 2010 2:21 pm

First off, thanks nicodem for the suggestion, I'm always open to them.

Secondly, I'm just gonna tell you Schnoogle (awesome name by the way) that I don't believe in tiers. Tiers to me is just, well, I don't see the point. Can't someone just play with whatever they want (obeying standard rules, of course)? And if they can't, well... then... narf.

And Duskboi, just so you know, I'd go against an all legendary team with a kangaskhan. They rock that much.
Back to top Go down
Shnoogle

Shnoogle

PostSubject: Re: Competitive Battling Team, First Draft   Competitive Battling Team, First Draft EmptyWed Apr 21, 2010 3:18 pm

Doctor Dern wrote:

Secondly, I'm just gonna tell you Schnoogle (awesome name by the way) that I don't believe in tiers. Tiers to me is just, well, I don't see the point. Can't someone just play with whatever they want (obeying standard rules, of course)? And if they can't, well... then... narf.

And Duskboi, just so you know, I'd go against an all legendary team with a kangaskhan. They rock that much.

OK well if you are going to be playing with whatever, you need to have a steel type on your team to resist all the dragon attacks, as well as other steel attacks and stuff that OU pokemon have at their disposal.

Metagross is a very bulky steel type pokemon, as well as an offensive powerhouse. If you want to use him, here is a good set:

Competitive Battling Team, First Draft Metagross

Metagross @ Life Orb/Leftovers (Depends if you want more power or survivability)
112 HP / 252 Atk / 12 Def / 132 Spe
Adamant Nature... +Attack, -Sp. Attack
~Agility
~Meteor Mash
~Earthquake
~Explosion/Thunderpunch

AgiliGross... Ah so powerful. The EVs allow you to outpace max speed choice scarf Heatran after an agility, so they cannot revenge kill you with Flamethrower/Earth Power/Whatever.Max attack is quite obvious. The 124 Leftover EVs are sorted into 112 HP, 12 Def so your Life Orb recoil rounds down from 33 to 32, and the other 12 EVs are placed in defense for lack of a better place to put them into :/
Meteor Mash and EQ round off coverage pretty well, but you will have trouble with bulky water types. You can either A.) Explode on them for a OHKO, or B.) Thunderpunch them for either a 2 or 3HKO. Obviously, Thunderpunch will OHKO gyarados, though. Explosion is also useful for bulky pokemon in general like Celebi and Swampert who can take any attacks including Thunderpunch with ease, but of course, you lose Metagross in the process.
Back to top Go down
Doctor Dern

Doctor Dern

PostSubject: Re: Competitive Battling Team, First Draft   Competitive Battling Team, First Draft EmptyWed Apr 21, 2010 3:23 pm

Cool, I like Metagross. Thanks again for your input Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Shnoogle

Shnoogle

PostSubject: Re: Competitive Battling Team, First Draft   Competitive Battling Team, First Draft EmptyWed Apr 21, 2010 3:27 pm

Doctor Dern wrote:
Cool, I like Metagross. Thanks again for your input Very Happy

No problem Smile

PM me or just post here if you need any more help
Back to top Go down
Duskboi

Duskboi

PostSubject: Re: Competitive Battling Team, First Draft   Competitive Battling Team, First Draft EmptyThu Apr 22, 2010 10:13 am

Doctor Dern wrote:

Well you obviosly have mad skillz then lo. No but i didn't mean it like that. I meant like it would do better in its own tier because thats the tier its in... If that makes sense lol. Tiers are there to stop people who are rly boring just going oh im gonna use a full team of ubers against you when your using a team full of MFE's. And I know people do do things like that sometimes for a challenge, but if it wasnt for tiers there wouldnt be much point in any pokemon other than ubers
Back to top Go down
Doctor Dern

Doctor Dern

PostSubject: Re: Competitive Battling Team, First Draft   Competitive Battling Team, First Draft EmptyThu Apr 22, 2010 10:22 am

Doctor Dern wrote:

Don't standard rules prohibit Ubers? I was just saying that my kangaskhan was originally designed to tackle dragons (except those blasted kingdras Evil or Very Mad ) and I would like to test its mettle against such threats. But Ubers? No way, nobody likes those. I just think that UUs and NUs should not be separated from OUs.

I seriously would go against a full legendary team with a kangaskhan on mine though (so be careful Twisted Evil )
Back to top Go down
Duskboi

Duskboi

PostSubject: Re: Competitive Battling Team, First Draft   Competitive Battling Team, First Draft EmptyThu Apr 22, 2010 10:26 am

.[/quote]

Don't standard rules prohibit Ubers? I was just saying that my kangaskhan was originally designed to tackle dragons (except those blasted kingdras Evil or Very Mad ) and I would like to test its mettle against such threats. But Ubers? No way, nobody likes those. I just think that UUs and NUs should not be separated from OUs.

I seriously would go against a full legendary team with a kangaskhan on mine though (so be careful Twisted Evil )[/quote]

But if people want to use a UU team agasint a OU team they can. Its just if they dont want to use a UU team agasint an OU team they dont have to so really its the people who just use OUs all the time and never a fun team who brought on the tiers
Back to top Go down
Doctor Dern

Doctor Dern

PostSubject: Re: Competitive Battling Team, First Draft   Competitive Battling Team, First Draft EmptyThu Apr 22, 2010 10:32 am

Ok, ok, NOW I see your point. Still, I do feel like its a good lesson for the no-originality OU abusers when you cream them with NFEs and low-tier pokemon. Just look at Uutton with his nasty Chansey and Grovyle.

I get what you mean now, though.
Back to top Go down
Duskboi

Duskboi

PostSubject: Re: Competitive Battling Team, First Draft   Competitive Battling Team, First Draft EmptyThu Apr 22, 2010 10:34 am

Doctor Dern wrote:
Ok, ok, NOW I see your point. Still, I do feel like its a good lesson for the no-originality OU abusers when you cream them with NFEs and low-tier pokemon. Just look at Uutton with his nasty Chansey and Grovyle.

I agree that is why I try not to use OUs
Back to top Go down
iEaturCake

UT points : 5285

PostSubject: Re: Competitive Battling Team, First Draft   Competitive Battling Team, First Draft EmptySat Apr 24, 2010 7:58 pm

Doctor Dern wrote:

oooh thnx for reminding me of uutton's NFEs. I forgot I was gonna make a little cup team today.
darn I needa finish up fixing my bastiodon...
after that though. I'ma try and use his krabby as a different pokemon.
SUPAH KRABBY!

edit:
hmmm....actually thats not too much for originality. Nvm, I'll just think of some other pokemon. Besides, I really don't want to make another team based on trick room.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/iEaturCake
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Competitive Battling Team, First Draft   Competitive Battling Team, First Draft Empty

Back to top Go down

Competitive Battling Team, First Draft
Page 1 of 1