Uuttitan Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Uuttitan Community Forums

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Defensive Luxray

Go down 
+2
Blumey
Greene
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Greene

Greene

UT points : 7485

Defensive Luxray Empty
PostSubject: Defensive Luxray   Defensive Luxray EmptyMon Jan 11, 2010 3:27 pm

Watching Gigatitan's new video earlier, and he mentioned how annoying Luxray can be because of Intimidate and so I started thinking about Explotiing that and Spark to make a good wall. Take a look.

Defensive Luxray 405
Impish @ Leftovers
252HP/168Sp.D/90D (Intimidate)
Spark
Charge
Toxic
Ice Fang/Protect
With these IV's it has good defenses, good attack, and sufficient HP to wall up. Toxic is for Toxic, duh Razz. Charge gets me a Sp.D up while charging up the power of my electric attacks, which brings me to Spark, which is there for STAB, and for things that can't be Toxiced it also has a high parahax rate.

The last move however is in debate. Ice Fang for extra coverage and in NU where it would be used, perfect coverage bar Magneton (or is Magneton UU Neutral ). Ice Fang also helps against grounds, though mostly I would switch out from them, which leads to option number 2 Protect; used for general Toxic stall and Lefties healing, but leaves me walled by grounds, though as said, I would switch out from most grounds anyway, and I guess every Pokemon is walled by something. So give me some feedback.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/Greene1516
Blumey

Blumey

UT points : 5388

Defensive Luxray Empty
PostSubject: RE:   Defensive Luxray EmptyMon Jan 11, 2010 3:51 pm

I would give it more defense EVs because you can't boost that and peoples can switch away intimidate. EQ can also be used by non ground types as well in UU/NU and you might accidentally be hit by it on somthing you didn't know carried it. So in the end it comes down to how good you think your knowledge of the pokemon in the metagame is.
Back to top Go down
saxman1324

saxman1324

UT points : 6093

Defensive Luxray Empty
PostSubject: Re: Defensive Luxray   Defensive Luxray EmptyMon Jan 11, 2010 4:14 pm

I like the set and I would suggest running protect over ice fang. You can toxic a switch, protect to see if they actually use EQ (you will more than likely know they use it for I'm sure, but if they predict a switch they may try another move). And The EV's look good to me
Back to top Go down
Greene

Greene

Defensive Luxray Empty
PostSubject: Re: Defensive Luxray   Defensive Luxray EmptyMon Jan 11, 2010 4:56 pm

Blumey wrote:
I would give it more defense EVs because you can't boost that and peoples can switch away intimidate. EQ can also be used by non ground types as well in UU/NU and you might accidentally be hit by it on somthing you didn't know carried it. So in the end it comes down to how good you think your knowledge of the pokemon in the metagame is.

Even if they switch away from Intimidate, it still means that I get a turn to set up or do damage on the switch. Never think of forcing a switch as a bad thing. And like saxman said, EQ is the most predictable move ever, you always know what carries it.

Last edited by Greene on Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Shnoogle

Shnoogle

UT points : 7717

Defensive Luxray Empty
PostSubject: Re: Defensive Luxray   Defensive Luxray EmptyMon Jan 11, 2010 5:04 pm

With no form of recovery and you switching out because enemies switch out constantly, this doesn't seem that great.

Sorry to say but I have to agree with blumey on this one
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/OctopusOoze
Greene

Greene

Defensive Luxray Empty
PostSubject: Re: Defensive Luxray   Defensive Luxray EmptyMon Jan 11, 2010 5:25 pm

Shnoogle wrote:
With no form of recovery and you switching out because enemies switch out constantly, this doesn't seem that great.

Sorry to say but I have to agree with blumey on this one

Sorry but I don't know where you got the idea that every time an enemy switches out that I too will switch out.
Back to top Go down
ARandomBoy

ARandomBoy

UT points : 5651

Defensive Luxray Empty
PostSubject: Re: Defensive Luxray   Defensive Luxray EmptyMon Jan 11, 2010 5:34 pm

Like Shnoogle mentioned, a lack of recovery doesn't help. But you could try something like a ResTalk Luxray with Spark and either Toxic or Charge. It fixes the recovery problem and you can still get the basic aspects of the set.
Back to top Go down
saxman1324

saxman1324

Defensive Luxray Empty
PostSubject: Re: Defensive Luxray   Defensive Luxray EmptyMon Jan 11, 2010 5:37 pm

why switch when he capable of setting up a charge or toxic? if he has a good steel and ground counter Luxray can stay in just to scout out a team. and its not necesarily a tank as much of a wall/stall user so it doesnt need instant recovery for sure
Back to top Go down
Greene

Greene

Defensive Luxray Empty
PostSubject: Re: Defensive Luxray   Defensive Luxray EmptyMon Jan 11, 2010 5:38 pm

I'm not getting this, since when does a wall require a recovery move???
Back to top Go down
Shnoogle

Shnoogle

Defensive Luxray Empty
PostSubject: Re: Defensive Luxray   Defensive Luxray EmptyMon Jan 11, 2010 5:42 pm

Not all do, but with something as bad defenses as this guy it would help alot
Back to top Go down
saxman1324

saxman1324

Defensive Luxray Empty
PostSubject: Re: Defensive Luxray   Defensive Luxray EmptyMon Jan 11, 2010 5:46 pm

its defenses arent that bad, and it has intimidate which is the whole reason for the idea. plus his health is pretty decent compared to others. it has good defensive typing only being weak to ground, and has the materials for a staller. he wouldnt even have the speed to recover if he had a decent recovery move in the first place
Back to top Go down
Greene

Greene

Defensive Luxray Empty
PostSubject: Re: Defensive Luxray   Defensive Luxray EmptyMon Jan 11, 2010 5:47 pm

Shnoogle wrote:
Not all do, but with something as bad defenses as this guy it would help alot

His defenses hit the totals of the average UU/NU wall.
Back to top Go down
Shnoogle

Shnoogle

Defensive Luxray Empty
PostSubject: Re: Defensive Luxray   Defensive Luxray EmptyMon Jan 11, 2010 5:54 pm

hey if you think it will work then go for it.
No one is stopping you, but you may be dissapointed in the results
Back to top Go down
saxman1324

saxman1324

Defensive Luxray Empty
PostSubject: Re: Defensive Luxray   Defensive Luxray EmptyMon Jan 11, 2010 5:55 pm

well come on he is looking for opinions... so describe what you think will happen against common threats
Back to top Go down
Shnoogle

Shnoogle

Defensive Luxray Empty
PostSubject: Re: Defensive Luxray   Defensive Luxray EmptyMon Jan 11, 2010 6:05 pm

You face a physical lapras, floatzel, dodrio whatever and you intimidat them so their attacks aren't so powerful. They switch to quagsire, gastrodon, golem, claydol, donphan... Most teams have 1 of these pokemon (a ground type) ice fang doesnt even dent any of them but you now have to switch cause without intimidate and you little defensive investment you get 1HKOed or switch... Spikes and sr damage add up quickly, switching in to intimidate things still hurts you.
Just because you intimidate a fearow doesnt mean it cannot hurt you with STAB return, or poliwrath with cross chop.

The best thing to do is max defense and give it light screen instead of charge
Back to top Go down
Blumey

Blumey

UT points : 5388

Defensive Luxray Empty
PostSubject: Re: Defensive Luxray   Defensive Luxray EmptyMon Jan 11, 2010 7:36 pm

Shnoogle wrote:

Thank you. You can be forced to switch once they shake of intimidate. Switching doesn't hurt when you force them but the inverse is also true-stealth rock and spikes and attacks taken while switching can add up quickly.
Back to top Go down
saxman1324

saxman1324

Defensive Luxray Empty
PostSubject: Re: Defensive Luxray   Defensive Luxray EmptyMon Jan 11, 2010 7:41 pm

and what if its the other way around? what if he is the one with TS, SR, or Spikes up? and if he has a spinner he can remove the problems Luxray would face when switching. sure these are what ifs but its the same for you guys. another option is holding out and using him as a late game wall, pretty much after most of his counters will be down and he can keep them in after an intimidate
Back to top Go down
Daiko

Daiko

UT points : 6837

Defensive Luxray Empty
PostSubject: Re: Defensive Luxray   Defensive Luxray EmptyTue Jan 12, 2010 2:58 am

Shnoogle wrote:

Charge has two uses on the set!

Powers up Spark and boosts Luxray's Sp.Def.

Personally, I would have added Magnet Rise to the set.

It removes the Ground Type weakness and I am 100% sure you can outspeed the main EQ users of NU

Other than that the set seems like it will work if it is used correctely. Otherwise the results could be a disaster...
Back to top Go down
http://spearpillar.roflforum.net/forum.htm
Greene

Greene

Defensive Luxray Empty
PostSubject: Re: Defensive Luxray   Defensive Luxray EmptyTue Jan 12, 2010 7:54 am

Daiko wrote:
Shnoogle wrote:

Charge has two uses on the set!

Powers up Spark and boosts Luxray's Sp.Def.

Personally, I would have added Magnet Rise to the set.

It removes the Ground Type weakness and I am 100% sure you can outspeed the main EQ users of NU

Other than that the set seems like it will work[b] if it is used correctely/b]. Otherwise the results could be a disaster...

I think you can have faith in me Wink
Back to top Go down
Daiko

Daiko

UT points : 6837

Defensive Luxray Empty
PostSubject: Re: Defensive Luxray   Defensive Luxray EmptyTue Jan 12, 2010 8:02 am

[quote="Greene"]
Daiko wrote:
Shnoogle wrote:

if it is used correctely

I think you can have faith in me Wink

You didn't do the [/b] thing right Razz (I sorted it Very Happy)

Anyways, I am sure you could pull it off.
Back to top Go down
http://spearpillar.roflforum.net/forum.htm
Greene

Greene

Defensive Luxray Empty
PostSubject: Re: Defensive Luxray   Defensive Luxray EmptyTue Jan 12, 2010 8:02 am

Shnoogle wrote:
You face a physical lapras, floatzel, dodrio whatever and you intimidat them so their attacks aren't so powerful. They switch to quagsire, gastrodon, golem, claydol, donphan... Most teams have 1 of these pokemon (a ground type) ice fang doesnt even dent any of them but you now have to switch cause without intimidate and you little defensive investment you get 1HKOed or switch... Spikes and sr damage add up quickly, switching in to intimidate things still hurts you.
Just because you intimidate a fearow doesnt mean it cannot hurt you with STAB return, or poliwrath with cross chop.

A note on the Pokemon mentioned, first and foremost, neither Donphan nor Claydol are in NU, so good luck with that. Neither Quagsire nor Gastrodon can get a 2HKO after Leftovers Recovery with EQ, and Golem is a lost cause anyway, Luxray definitely can't take it on even with max defense.

Fearow's Return and Poliwrath's Cross Chop (which I've never seen run over Brick Break BTW) still don't do enough either.

Plus maxing Defense also leaves Special Defense very low and if the Charge doesn't go up before hand then special Gastrodon variants can get the KO with Earth Power. I may put the defense up a little more, but maxing it will severly compromise Special Defense, and I don't like relying entirely on moves to make up defenses.

Also note in bold, the general point of a Toxic staller isn't to do much damage with attacks.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Defensive Luxray Empty
PostSubject: Re: Defensive Luxray   Defensive Luxray Empty

Back to top Go down

Defensive Luxray
Page 1 of 1