Uuttitan Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Uuttitan Community Forums

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Kay, let's chat.

Go down 
+17
FlareZen
leafshadow
Psyneko
Evil
yoshibreathesfire
Darkravenn12
ninjatreecko12
GaiaAero
SoulSilverHeartGold
Temius
Pialga93
Kanrik
Neku
Shnoogle
mrcatz
Deadluiga
cdplayar
21 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Temius

Temius

UT points : 5612

Kay, let's chat. - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kay, let's chat.   Kay, let's chat. - Page 5 EmptyWed Sep 29, 2010 10:46 pm

Kanrik wrote:
Continuing on the helpful discussion.
Its not like we're gonna over-haul the forums in one night. I don't want to completely take away the pokemon aspect of this place, but I think it needs more than just pokemon and more pokemon for it to grow any. Its sad to say the 5th generation may have caused some damage, although I think it will also bring a lot more people.

I've also considered seeing if we could get any other big youtubers in and possible get a bit of help getting afloat again (I've considered speaking to the LPers of Youtube.)

Its still all in the air really.
I think a large portion of the current slump is the lack of a dedicated theorymon section. Right now, the gens are kinda of in limbo, and people don't really want to be making up 4th gen teams when they will soon be rendered near useless. Our sections right now are not completely clear as to where ideas can be tossed around, as our pokemon strategy section is mostly rmt, and people generally get kinda angry when you post something besides a team. I think we should maybe divide he Pkmn strategy section into RMT and actual competitive discussion (reserving the current pkmn discussion section for anything else pkmn related) and add a thread where people can ask questions with 1 or 2 sentence answers. Just throwing that out there
Back to top Go down
Kanrik
Admin
Admin
Kanrik

UT points : 14551
Location : The Distortion World, its beautiful this time of year

PostSubject: Re: Kay, let's chat.   Kay, let's chat. - Page 5 EmptyWed Sep 29, 2010 10:53 pm

Temius wrote:
Kanrik wrote:
Continuing on the helpful discussion.
Its not like we're gonna over-haul the forums in one night. I don't want to completely take away the pokemon aspect of this place, but I think it needs more than just pokemon and more pokemon for it to grow any. Its sad to say the 5th generation may have caused some damage, although I think it will also bring a lot more people.

I've also considered seeing if we could get any other big youtubers in and possible get a bit of help getting afloat again (I've considered speaking to the LPers of Youtube.)

Its still all in the air really.
I think a large portion of the current slump is the lack of a dedicated theorymon section. Right now, the gens are kinda of in limbo, and people don't really want to be making up 4th gen teams when they will soon be rendered near useless. Our sections right now are not completely clear as to where ideas can be tossed around, as our pokemon strategy section is mostly rmt, and people generally get kinda angry when you post something besides a team. I think we should maybe divide he Pkmn strategy section into RMT and actual competitive discussion (reserving the current pkmn discussion section for anything else pkmn related) and add a thread where people can ask questions with 1 or 2 sentence answers. Just throwing that out there
This is why we have:
Pokemon Discussion
and
Pokemon Strategy
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/pkTrainerKanrik
Temius

Temius

PostSubject: Re: Kay, let's chat.   Kay, let's chat. - Page 5 EmptyWed Sep 29, 2010 11:07 pm

I understand, but maybe we could have a strategy-based pkmn discussion section, and an everything-else-based section
Back to top Go down
Pialga93

Pialga93

UT points : 5776

PostSubject: Re: Kay, let's chat.   Kay, let's chat. - Page 5 EmptyWed Sep 29, 2010 11:09 pm

Temius wrote:
I understand, but maybe we could have a strategy-based pkmn discussion section, and an everything-else-based section
We do
Back to top Go down
Temius

Temius

PostSubject: Re: Kay, let's chat.   Kay, let's chat. - Page 5 EmptyWed Sep 29, 2010 11:13 pm

But it's not efficient. We should divide the pkmn startegy section into RMT and a section where we can post single-pokemon movesets and ask questions. It couldn't hurt
Back to top Go down
Kanrik
Admin
Admin
Kanrik

PostSubject: Re: Kay, let's chat.   Kay, let's chat. - Page 5 EmptyWed Sep 29, 2010 11:15 pm

Temius wrote:
But it's not efficient. We should divide the pkmn startegy section into RMT and a section where we can post single-pokemon movesets and ask questions. It couldn't hurt
It would just create more sections dedicated to pokemon that aren't needed, which would go against the idea of moving the prominent focus point from gaming in general to pokemon.
Back to top Go down
Temius

Temius

PostSubject: Re: Kay, let's chat.   Kay, let's chat. - Page 5 EmptyWed Sep 29, 2010 11:20 pm

Kanrik wrote:
Temius wrote:
It would just create more sections dedicated to pokemon that aren't needed, which would go against the idea of moving the prominent focus point from gaming in general to pokemon.
Whatever floats your boat, man, you're the admin
Back to top Go down
Kanrik
Admin
Admin
Kanrik

PostSubject: Re: Kay, let's chat.   Kay, let's chat. - Page 5 EmptyThu Sep 30, 2010 12:14 am

Temius wrote:
Kanrik wrote:
Temius wrote:
Whatever floats your boat, man, you're the admin
It has nothing to do with what I personally think.
Why have two of the same section? There is no reason you would ever do that. It would be like me making a random section in the YouTube area while I have the Random section in the fun and games area of the forums. It just makes no sense.
Back to top Go down
Temius

Temius

PostSubject: Re: Kay, let's chat.   Kay, let's chat. - Page 5 EmptyThu Sep 30, 2010 6:33 am

alright, do whatever you want
Back to top Go down
cdplayar

cdplayar

UT points : 7942

PostSubject: Re: Kay, let's chat.   Kay, let's chat. - Page 5 EmptyThu Sep 30, 2010 5:25 pm

I see the point that if expanded, section mods wouldn't be as useful. But we'd at least need more mods to handle it.

Also, as I see it, I think we should completely remodel the whole forum. As said 608956678 times, it's very pokemon driven, I think if we offered more sections about intelligent subjects (like politics, and religion) to only members who can prove they are mature, it'd make people want to mature so they are included.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/cdplayar
Pialga93

Pialga93

PostSubject: Re: Kay, let's chat.   Kay, let's chat. - Page 5 EmptyThu Sep 30, 2010 5:30 pm

cdplayar wrote:
I see the point that if expanded, section mods wouldn't be as useful. But we'd at least need more mods to handle it.

Also, as I see it, I think we should completely remodel the whole forum. As said 608956678 times, it's very pokemon driven, I think if we offered more sections about intelligent subjects (like politics, and religion) to only members who can prove they are mature, it'd make people want to mature so they are included.
I'm pretty skeptical about a politics an religion section only, from what I've seen, even adults are immature when it comes to these matters, and I don't segregating member via maturity will work out, besides we should only expand once we have more people.
Back to top Go down
cdplayar

cdplayar

PostSubject: Re: Kay, let's chat.   Kay, let's chat. - Page 5 EmptyThu Sep 30, 2010 5:36 pm

Pialga93 wrote:
cdplayar wrote:

I'm pretty skeptical about a politics an religion section only, from what I've seen, even adults are immature when it comes to these matters, and I don't segregating member via maturity will work out, besides we should only expand once we have more people.

Well, I'll explain in more detail what I mean.

I mean users that can show they can handle mature topics better, will be granted access. Not segregating, just giving certain members more privileges.

I know what you mean on the topic of even adults becoming immature, and there would be a little bit of immaturity, but I couldn't think of topics other than those to use as an example Laughing
Back to top Go down
Shnoogle

Shnoogle

UT points : 7722

PostSubject: Re: Kay, let's chat.   Kay, let's chat. - Page 5 EmptyThu Sep 30, 2010 6:27 pm

As accepting as I am of other people's beliefs and political views for the most part, I can easily see 9 out of 10 topics in each of those sections turning into flame wars after the first 5 or so posts regardless of maturity levels.

Forums are, yes, places to express opinion on things, but they are also supposed to unite people together to just have a good time. When 90% of the forum members are against each others views in a specific topic and the other neutral 10% get all tangled up in the mess, you have a problem.

Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/OctopusOoze
Temius

Temius

PostSubject: Re: Kay, let's chat.   Kay, let's chat. - Page 5 EmptyThu Sep 30, 2010 6:33 pm

I don't see the motivation for expanding our range of subjects. This has been a primarily pokemon-based community, there is no need for that to change. a forum doesn't need tacked-on sections, it needs a focus that it follows very well. Like I have said countless times, let's take a page out of the smogon/serebii handbook, and remain focused on pokemon, rather than add new sections where people won't post nearly as much (sports section, anyone?) Let's just stick to what the community does best, talk pokemon. There's no need to change that
Back to top Go down
cdplayar

cdplayar

PostSubject: Re: Kay, let's chat.   Kay, let's chat. - Page 5 EmptyThu Sep 30, 2010 6:48 pm

Temius wrote:
I don't see the motivation for expanding our range of subjects. This has been a primarily pokemon-based community, there is no need for that to change. a forum doesn't need tacked-on sections, it needs a focus that it follows very well. Like I have said countless times, let's take a page out of the smogon/serebii handbook, and remain focused on pokemon, rather than add new sections where people won't post nearly as much (sports section, anyone?) Let's just stick to what the community does best, talk pokemon. There's no need to change that

Serebii is the biggest Pokémon news source and Smogon is mainly a team building stuff.

You can't now honestly say we should stick to Pokémon
Back to top Go down
Temius

Temius

PostSubject: Re: Kay, let's chat.   Kay, let's chat. - Page 5 EmptyThu Sep 30, 2010 7:23 pm

cdplayar wrote:
Temius wrote:

Serebii is the biggest Pokémon news source and Smogon is mainly a team building stuff.

Yeah, but lots of people on smogon don't just go there for sets. There is such a thing as creativity. You look on their forums, you don't see a huge amount of smogon sets at all. Check your facts before you say something stupid, okay?
Back to top Go down
cdplayar

cdplayar

PostSubject: Re: Kay, let's chat.   Kay, let's chat. - Page 5 EmptyThu Sep 30, 2010 7:42 pm

Temius wrote:
cdplayar wrote:
Temius wrote:

Yeah, but lots of people on smogon don't just go there for sets. There is such a thing as creativity. You look on their forums, you don't see a huge amount of smogon sets at all. Check your facts before you say something stupid, okay?

Don't flame me please.

The basic fact that that's how smogon STARTED, is why we can't go like that.
Back to top Go down
Temius

Temius

PostSubject: Re: Kay, let's chat.   Kay, let's chat. - Page 5 EmptyThu Sep 30, 2010 7:56 pm

cdplayar wrote:
Temius wrote:
cdplayar wrote:
Temius wrote:

Don't flame me please.

You have no clue what you're talking about. Who cares how they started? And don't accuse me of flaming. Has that EVER worked? It just ruins the thread
Back to top Go down
cdplayar

cdplayar

PostSubject: Re: Kay, let's chat.   Kay, let's chat. - Page 5 EmptyThu Sep 30, 2010 8:01 pm

Temius wrote:
cdplayar wrote:
Temius wrote:

Bolded is flame.

Anyways, we started as a forum, therefore people will only think of us like that. When you think of Serebii, you think of "THIS JUST IN ..." When you think Uuttitan, people aren't gonna say "What new information for skills will I learn from this site?"
Back to top Go down
mrcatz

mrcatz

UT points : 8687
Location : you wonder why your mom was acting strange this morning O.o

PostSubject: Re: Kay, let's chat.   Kay, let's chat. - Page 5 EmptyThu Sep 30, 2010 8:02 pm

Temius wrote:
cdplayar wrote:
Temius wrote:
cdplayar wrote:
Temius wrote:

Don't flame me please.

You have no clue what you're talking about. Who cares how they started? And don't accuse me of flaming. Has that EVER worked? It just ruins the thread

Cool it. Fighting now will just get you banned ASAP. It is probably the worst possible thing to do if you want to stay here.
Back to top Go down
Pialga93

Pialga93

PostSubject: Re: Kay, let's chat.   Kay, let's chat. - Page 5 EmptyThu Sep 30, 2010 8:57 pm

cdplayar wrote:
Temius wrote:
cdplayar wrote:
Temius wrote:

Bolded is flame.

Anyways, we started as a forum, therefore people will only think of us like that. When you think of Serebii, you think of "THIS JUST IN ..." When you think Uuttitan, people aren't gonna say "What new information for skills will I learn from this site?"
Well CD, I do want to expand our interests, but we can't do it until we attract that crowd, personally I'd love an Anime/TV section but I don't think it'll be very active.
Back to top Go down
Kanrik
Admin
Admin
Kanrik

PostSubject: Re: Kay, let's chat.   Kay, let's chat. - Page 5 EmptyFri Oct 01, 2010 12:38 am

Shnoogle wrote:
As accepting as I am of other people's beliefs and political views for the most part, I can easily see 9 out of 10 topics in each of those sections turning into flame wars after the first 5 or so posts regardless of maturity levels.

Forums are, yes, places to express opinion on things, but they are also supposed to unite people together to just have a good time. When 90% of the forum members are against each others views in a specific topic and the other neutral 10% get all tangled up in the mess, you have a problem.

Shnoogle pretty much hit the nail on the head, which is expected (that is a compliment, for the record). The first year of the forums has shown that a community that had one of its starting basis' in Pokemon cannot handle a debate of any kind without it becoming a flame war. It already feels like a hassle now because we've never had to ban people, and now I have to threaten you guys to keep on topic and not fight? Yea, thats not what forums are meant for, and thats why I'm never adding any area to discuss just Politics of Religious beliefs (Beast has shown me that idiots can't understand politics all too well.)

Temius, you need to stop while you're ahead, and that goes for you too CD.

Both of you are partially wrong, and partially right. Yes, its true that Smogon and Serebii are big because they stuck to their roots, but I don't think it's sunk in just how yet. CD is right about Serebii, that began as a news forum, then the pokedex and anime sections were added to the forums, and then game sections to discuss the mechanics, and even game mechanics themselves. The forum aspect of Serebii never really came into play until much later, and with that their IRC channel. They started small, but grew immensely based on word of mouth because they are literally the leading Pokemon News website out there (being followed by Poke Beach).

Smogon's big pride is Shoddy. People go for that, the tier listings, and movesets. Sure, some go into the community, but most of it is for trading, gathering information, and working on movesets that usually will appear on the first page if seen fit. (Gir, if you want to affirm or disprove any of this, be my guest, I'm not much of a Smogon person.) We can't build something that big, thats literally impossible. Considering Smogon is the host of the tiers list EVERYONE uses, there is no way to even begin to compare to them, and their never will be,

The Forums will most likely shift to general gaming, but the Pokemon aspect won't just disappear (mostly because that would be on nightmare of a change to the Pokemon section in general.) If anything, it'll become a Youtube Gaming community, since this was actually general based on two people on Youtube and the games they enjoyed. Thats one thing we won't go back too, because the forums aren't here to boost Dan and I's ego, its here to be a fun place for people to go. Which goes back to what I've been saying from the beginning, and I'm going to attempt to beat it into your heads one last time, and after that if you guys don't get it, there is no hope...

Your attitudes are what controls whether this forum LIVES or DIES. Nothing Dan and I can change or do will matter if you guys can't act nice to each other, let alone to newer members.
Back to top Go down
Psyneko

UT points : 5652

PostSubject: Re: Kay, let's chat.   Kay, let's chat. - Page 5 EmptyFri Oct 01, 2010 11:40 am

People getting along, pffffftttt...

That's never going to happen here, considering the amount of immature members we've picked up.
Ya know sometimes I think people a little too "Mr. Nice guy" can be bad, instead of letting flame wars go on, the mods and admins should ban and lock ASAP.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/Psyneku
Kanrik
Admin
Admin
Kanrik

PostSubject: Re: Kay, let's chat.   Kay, let's chat. - Page 5 EmptyFri Oct 01, 2010 12:04 pm

Psyneko wrote:

That's never going to happen here, considering the amount of immature members we've picked up.
Ya know sometimes I think people a little too "Mr. Nice guy" can be bad, instead of letting flame wars go on, the mods and admins should ban and lock ASAP.
Sorry, I'll try to stop going outside so I can catch flame wars right off the spot, just for you.
Generally, we try to hope that you guys have enough common sense that if we tell you to stop, you should take it as a warning, some people just don't know when to quit while they are ahead.
Back to top Go down
Psyneko

UT points : 5652

PostSubject: Re: Kay, let's chat.   Kay, let's chat. - Page 5 EmptyFri Oct 01, 2010 1:02 pm

Kanrik wrote:
Psyneko wrote:

Sorry, I'll try to stop going outside so I can catch flame wars right off the spot, just for you.
Generally, we try to hope that you guys have enough common sense that if we tell you to stop, you should take it as a warning, some people just don't know when to quit while they are ahead.

Your sarcasm really isn't necessary.

You just stated exactly why the mods/admins have to be stricter, because most members on this forum don't understand the meaning of "warning".
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/Psyneku
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kay, let's chat.   Kay, let's chat. - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

Kay, let's chat.
Page 5 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next