Uuttitan Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Uuttitan Community Forums

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

OU Sweep Stall

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Herpdidderp

Herpdidderp

UT points : 5288

OU Sweep Stall Empty
PostSubject: OU Sweep Stall   OU Sweep Stall EmptyThu Feb 25, 2010 3:32 pm

Eh, thought I'd post an old team for lulz and see what I could get out of it. This team is stallish based but it has enough behind it to be offensive. The only thing I have issues with are SD Lucario and only when Gliscor is out and only when it has Ice Punch. Other than that Suicune can be annoying but not much else.

And now that it seems everyone is doing it, teambuilding. Weeee... Honestly you can skip this part if things seem apparent to you.

Team Building Process

First I knew what I wanted to start with. Bulky Scizor was my proven most reliable sweeper and Sp.D Tar provided almost too much bulk to all my previous teams. Both are basically staple in every team I've made since I've developed my mindset with both sets.
OU Sweep Stall 248OU Sweep Stall 212
Next I needed a reliable lead who could set SR without too much trouble and stick around while helping the team out. This way I wouldn't be down a teammember early game just to get SR out. Gliscor was a lead I had used for quite some time so it was the first thing that popped into my head. Since it can switch into Earthquake for Tyranitar and Ice Beam/HP-Ice gave Scizor a free turn to switch in, it seemed to work fairly well. Also helps with his ability to work with Tyranitar's Sand Storm. U-Turn is also one of the most effective mid-game moves there is and most sets that can viably run it on I do.
OU Sweep Stall 472OU Sweep Stall 248OU Sweep Stall 212
Next I saw a painfully glaring weakness to Water and the oh-so-threatening MixApe. Gyarados also wouldn't have much trouble setting up on my team and had been a constant annoyance to all my other teams. Obvious Vaporeon necessity is obvious. Vaporeon could provide free switches to other teammates and provided a Grass weakness for my Scizor to exploit. At the same time predicting a Water attack aimed at Gliscor or Tyranitar was more beneficial to the team now if I could time it. Vaporeon had let me down before but I knew it would have to be in if I wanted to deal with such threats. Gliscor also needed a good time to switch in if Stealth Rock got Rapid Spun mid-game (since I didn't have Rotom like I normally did) and Vaporeon's Electric weakness works out well (though Bolt/Beamers are a constant nuisance).
OU Sweep Stall 472OU Sweep Stall 248OU Sweep Stall 134OU Sweep Stall 212
You notice a massive lack of speed, even with Scizor Bullet Punch and Gliscor running a Jolly nature pretty quickly with this team. I could not appropriately deal with threats such as Dragon Dance Salamence without something to take it down before it starts tearing sh*t into my team. I needed a back up just in case threats got through my defensive walls and threatened a sweep. I also needed something that could absorb Trick without any issue. At first it was suggested Scarf Starmie or Jirachi, but both had lackluster offense and I needed something that could actually leave a dent in something like Electivire (yes... I am Evire weak... sob). Scarf Azelf was an extremely underrated set that I loved to use thanks to Explosion and it's perfect base Speed with more than enough offense to cope. Gengar is still an option since it gives me a valuable Spin/Explosion resist while giving me yet another SD Lucario counter but it's lackluster offense and inability to take down bulkier threats like Suicune with Explosion has made me hesitant. Azelf was in.
OU Sweep Stall 472OU Sweep Stall 248OU Sweep Stall 134OU Sweep Stall 482OU Sweep Stall 212
Lastly I needed something to complete the core. Something that could help switch into Choice Band Scizor well since my team really doesn't like it. I had used Substitute/Roar Swampert on another team and found it actually sweeping teams (inowtfrite?) for no reason other than it was a b*tch to deal with. And I was not a fan of CroCune. After looking through several other underrated and overlooked Roar/Whirlwind users, I tried conceptualizing a Pressure Stall/Roar set to deal with sets like Machamp who could wreck a team provided it could still attack. And as wary as I am about Gyarados and Lucario it just so happens that I have a set that works great at taking down both. Also provides another Ice weakness for Scizor to mooch off of. I would be weak to Tyranitar with Zapdos if it wasn't for both Scizor and Gliscor who can handle just about every form (the sets that carry both Ice Beam and Flamethrower tend to either be extremely fail or fall to Vaporeon). The team was finalized.
OU Sweep Stall 472OU Sweep Stall 248OU Sweep Stall 145OU Sweep Stall 134OU Sweep Stall 482OU Sweep Stall 212
Or so I thought. After lots of constructive criticism, I'm testing some new slots. Azelf turned out to be lackluster on a team that's too slow to really use it. Also doesn't help that my pokes don't usually dent something enough for Azelf to get a clean KO. Instead a Spiker has been long overdue, and keeping the nice Spikes/Earthquake immunity I decided to try out Skarmory. Team needs Spikes, Skarm spikes, pretty basic. The main reason I don't like Vaporeon is because my basic core, Tyranitar/Zapdos/Vaporeon, has a weak spot to Toxic Spikes. Really don't like while Vappy also has to deal with SS. To help alleviate this I thought Latias could fill this role well, and with Skarmory added my Tyranitar weaknesses doesn't shift. So the team currently being tested is:
OU Sweep Stall 472OU Sweep Stall 248OU Sweep Stall 145OU Sweep Stall 380OU Sweep Stall 227OU Sweep Stall 212

OVERVIEW
OU Sweep Stall 472-mOU Sweep Stall 248-mOU Sweep Stall 145OU Sweep Stall 380OU Sweep Stall 227-mOU Sweep Stall 212-m
---------------------------------------------------------------------

OU Sweep Stall 472-m
Gliscor@Leftovers
Sand Veil, Jolly
Ev's: 252 HP/ 36 Defense/ 220 Speed
- Stealth Rock
- Roost
- Earthquake
- U-Turn

Basic standard Gliscor lead. The standard Speedy bulky set. Enough Speed to outrun other base 95's running the common 216 Spread so I can nab the Taunt first. Rest is put into bulk because honestly I don't bother with Metagross anymore who tends to just use Explosion right after Stealth Rock, if it fails or succeeds. Plus bulk takes priority since I tend to keep him around to pick off the Electivire every once in a while and my assurance against Lucario.

I just need it to set Stealth Rock so I can deal with Mence easier. Taunt is getting tested but really it's such a standard Taunter there's no point in running it. If I had a more reliable way to get Skarmory in early on and keep it around then I'd run Stealth Rock on it and Toxic here to be a nice Stall Breaker set up I have yet to be able to do so. Roost helps make sure he's around for Jolly Lucario so that I'm no longer weak to it like almost all the teams before this variant. EQ for obvious reasons. Might look into switching this out for Jirachi but honestly Jirachi can't handle Babiri Tar like Gliscor can. Helps be against a lot of minor threats but I don't find myself using him that much. It's always nice to have him for back up though and the occasional free switch into Electric attacks works decently for team synergy.

OU Sweep Stall 248-m
Tyranitar@Leftovers
Sand Stream, Careful
Ev's: 252 HP/ 4 Attack/ 252 Special Defense
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Thunder Wave
- Crunch

A pretty basic Sp.D Tar. I used to run Brick Break > Thunder Wave but thought the change might help and it has a lot. I've been suggested Curse countless times but Curse Tar is set up fodder in the current metagame and never provided any positive results. Used to run 252/40/216 but was informed it didn't help any against Blissey and found that even Leftovers Latias is OHKO'd by nuetral uninvested Crunch.

This is a bit of an offshoot from what I normally run but it does it's job just as well if not better now. Normally Earthquake/Brick Break are used in the slot I have Thunder Wave but they were beginning to seem lackluster. Though my team has become weaker to Substitute Heatran I still have my ways around it so I think I'm fine. Thunder Wave also f*cks every standard Tyranitar switch in barring Swampert and Gliscor. I've nabbed Salamence, Lucario, Scizor, Infernape, Machamp, Gyarados, and even Breloom (wasn't poisoned so lol) with it and has worked fantastically for the team. Also makes it much easier to run Thunderbolt on Zapdos instead of Discharge. Crunch takes care of most of the standard things Tyranitar is supposed to and the Defense drop helps a lot. Rest/Sleep Talk for obvious tanking reasons. This thing is a b*tch to kill.

OU Sweep Stall 145
Zapdos@Leftovers
Pressure, Bold
Ev's: 248 HP/ 156 Defense/ 104 Speed
- Roar
- Roost
- Substitute
- Thunderbolt

This is a newer set I recently added just to see how it works. Has yet to disappoint which is nice. The Ev's are my standard slighty fast slightly bulky spread, outruns Adamant Gyarados who hasn't set up and provides plenty of bulk. Works well when I draw one out with Roar and they think they may get a shot off. This was used over Roar Heatran who was meh at best and wasn't really helping the team. This provides me with a much better Scizor, non-Ice Punch Lucario/Metagross, and CroCune check.

Not much to say about the moveset. Roar helps me with bulky pokes who set up midgame like CroCune. Roost and Substitute work well with Pressure and provide Zapdos with constant HP with Sandstorm roiling while constantly pumping out Substitutes. Thunderbolt lets me attack when Taunted by things like Heatran and brings down Vaporeon, Starmie, and Gyarados who get switched in. Also helps against Lucario if Gliscor can't do it. I'm thinking about using Swampert here but a faster Substitute has proven extremely useful time and time again against opponents like Rotom and Metagross.

OU Sweep Stall 380
Latias@Leftovers
Levitate, Timid
Ev's: 252 HP/ 76 Defense/ 180 Speed
- Recover
- Thunder Wave/Grass Knot
- Thunderbolt
- Dragon Pulse

Vaporeon was okay, but I'm ridiculously paranoid about having any gap in my defenses. Toxic Spikes is a nuisance on my team due to lack of Tentacruel or a Rapid Spinner. An immunity to Spikes while giving my team the same resistance to Water and Fire was also a nice touch, also throwing in an additional Electric and Grass resist. And on top of all that it takes special hits better. It has been working decently though lack of a more solid supportive movepool that my team doesn't already supply is not helping. Ev's are more a build of my own, not that special. Outruns standard MixApe shooting to outrun base 100's, rest goes into bulk. Suggestions for Ev's would be nice other than the standard 252/252/4 spread as it leaves me far too frail for me to enjoy.

The moveset is really what I need to get down. I don't want to limit myself to using Wish without Protect and I don't like only have two options left in order to heal on a set that is potentially weak to status like Toxic. So Recover or Roost are my only options and there is literally no difference thanks to Levitate. More Thunder Wave support could be useful but hasn't gone too far. Grass Knot helps be deal with Swampert and Quagsire who have been giving me sh*t tons of issues recently, Roar has really been my only answer. Roar is an option, but three phazers is too much imo. Thunderbolt and Dragon Pulse let it function similarily to how Vaporeon did, taking care of Gyarados and having a STAB to throw around at MixApe. Dragon Pulse also deals with Salamence rather easily which is nice.

OU Sweep Stall 227-m
Skarmory@Shed Shell
Sturdy, Impish
Ev's: 252 HP/ 64 Attack/ 96 Defense/ 96 Special Defense
- Roost
- Spikes
- Whirlwind
- Brave Bird

I need a Spike setter and there is none more standard at setting Spikes and walling than Skarmory though Forretress comes close. Works with the overall strategy of the team obviously as I desperately needed Spikes prior to. Ev's are slightly standard, honestly I have no idea if I need the 64 Attack Ev's since Gyarados, Lucario, and Infernape are generally handled. Otherwise I can pump another jump point into Defense and the rest into Sp.D.

Moveset is so standard it needs no explination. I chose Brave Bird because it's Brave Bird though I almost never attack with it anyways. Everyone knows what this does, nothing more needs to be said.

OU Sweep Stall 212-m
Scizor@Occa Berry
Technician, Adamant
Ev's: 248 HP/ 176 Attack/ 28 Special Defense/ 56 Speed
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Bullet Punch
- Brick Break

Bulky Scizor is the most reliable sweeper I have used in OU aside from Garchomp. Occa Berry was suggested and has been working fine against random non-STAB Fire attacks since they fail to OHKO as Scizor continues to set up. Still doesn't like Magnezone however. Ev's are just a bunch of basic things thrown into one set. 248 HP since I lack Leftovers and I'll be switching into Stealth Rock often. 176 Attack hits a nice enough jump point so I don't really have to worry about it since the set is meant to get +6 and have tons of EH support and prior softening. 56 Speed Ev's because... really I don't know if those are necessary, I may drop to something lower since I rarely face a Skarmory that Roosts against this Scizor. 28 Sp.D Ev's lets him take special hits better obviously as it sets up. All non-offensive Vaporeon/Starmie sets cannot force a 2HKO with Surf, with the bulk it basically makes sure non-STAB neutral hits deal ignorable damage. Suggestions to this Ev set are appreciated.

Other than the slightly different Ev's and item, the rest is pretty standard stuff. Swords Dance is a nice scouting tool, if the opponent doesn't have a strong check I'll just smash it and see what happens. It also convinces more people to switch Magnezone in from what I've seen. Oh, and it makes him sweep, almost forgot. Roost helps him stall down opponents like Vaporeon and Starmie until he can get +6. Also helps since I tend to just set him up whenever and I lack Lefties so residual damage piles up. Bullet Punch needs no description. Brick Break > Superpower so screens don't hinder my team. My Sciz can Roost stall down Superpower spammers and Brick Break makes it possible.

~*'*~*'*~*'*~*'*~*'*~*'*~*'*~*'*~*'*~*'*~*'*~*'*~*'*~*'*~*'*~*'*~

This team is stall. The one day I actually cared about laddering I jumped from 1124 to 1450 with this team. Then I got bored and tired of hax. Please rate this intelligently.

Last edited by Herpdidderp on Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
neutral777

neutral777

UT points : 5727

OU Sweep Stall Empty
PostSubject: Re: OU Sweep Stall   OU Sweep Stall EmptyFri Feb 26, 2010 3:08 am

Personally, I like Toxic on my stall teams. That being said, I can appreciate all of the paralysis helping your slow defenders get the jump.

I dislike the idea of Occa Berry on a defensive Scizor. The extra recovery would be nice. I do see the novelty in it, though. It would be nice to be able to take unSTAB'd fire attacks better to lay the smack down with Brick Break or get another Swords Dance off.

Ice attacks could cause some problems as the only pokemon capable of jumping in is Scizor. Without leftovers, I would keep Scizor from taking too much damage so that I can effectively Roost.

How do you handle opposing Gliscor or Bronzong?

This team looks rather fun to use. I like that a majority of this team is immune to spikes and toxic spikes.

I can't find anything glaring. I may play test the team and get back to you, though.
Back to top Go down
Herpdidderp

Herpdidderp

OU Sweep Stall Empty
PostSubject: Re: OU Sweep Stall   OU Sweep Stall EmptyFri Feb 26, 2010 12:55 pm

Gliscor is built to break stall so obviously I have issues with him. Most of the time it doesn't cause me much harm, especially since Scizor can set up on one and usually does. However this team needs the update of new tests, as I have started testing Forretress and Rotom-S in place of Gliscor and Skarmory respectively. This way I have spin and spin blocking support while basically doing the same thing though the team has lost some of it's survivability since both new members don't have reliable heling.

Rotom runs Toxic for Hippowdon, Swampert, and Gliscor so they are less of an issue. However Scizor and Tyranitar are now much bigger ones. Seems odd to use Rotom Spin when there is Rotom-W to use, but stall's worst enemy is Heracross and usually Infernape. This makes sure if either are paralyzed I can score a OHKO without an issues. Standard Forry is standard and doesn't need an explanation.

You also seem to lack the understanding of how well Tyranitar takes Ice Beam. Vaporeon's Ice Beam deals 10% at max. Calm Blissey takes about 8% max.
Back to top Go down
neutral777

neutral777

UT points : 5727

OU Sweep Stall Empty
PostSubject: Re: OU Sweep Stall   OU Sweep Stall EmptySat Feb 27, 2010 12:04 am

I figured Tyranitar could take those Ice hits pretty well after those EVs and Sandstream. Thanks for some numbers.

I haven't noticed a new resurgence of Heracross lately...but if it is prevalent were you are, then do what you have to do. With all the paralysis, I can see Scizor being enough to deal with a Tyranitar threat, ya? Fire Punch would suck, though.

If you can keep improving on prediction, I think your team could handle a Ttar threat. That isn't to say you are bad with prediction, you just need to be better than your opponent. haha.
Back to top Go down
Herpdidderp

Herpdidderp

OU Sweep Stall Empty
PostSubject: Re: OU Sweep Stall   OU Sweep Stall EmptySat Feb 27, 2010 12:12 am

Babiri Tar can't handle Occa Scizor. Not even Flamethrower Tar can (or Fire Blast iirc). If Scizor is down I can mess around with Gliscor and take it down. And it really doesn't get a clean switch in anywhere, as it TRIES to break my Zapdos but ends up running out of Stone Edge before it can hit it hard. If it goes first I also know it is a Choice Scarf set and thus not an issue ever unless it manages to swap in on Latias and even then I have counter measures. Oh, and I have Skarmory. A player would literally have to know my entire team and then out plan me in order to take down my team with a Tar. Have yet to have an issue with it.

If you're talking about the new changes, Scizor just plain deals with it.

EDIT: Just so you know, apart for Flash Fire users and the obvious Kingdra, Tyranitar is the best special Fire resist in OU, even better than Snorlax. That's how good of a special wall it is. Only LO or Specs boosted Surfs can threaten a 2HKO. And even then it's iffy. Defensive Celebi can't 3HKO with Grass Knot. Heatran's Earth Power struggles to come close to try a 5HKO. Things like Zapdos can never hope to contest it thanks to Crunch's Defense drops. Tyranitar, imo, is the ultimate special tank.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

OU Sweep Stall Empty
PostSubject: Re: OU Sweep Stall   OU Sweep Stall Empty

Back to top Go down

OU Sweep Stall
Page 1 of 1