Uuttitan Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Uuttitan Community Forums

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Lead Gengar

Go down 
+3
SebaSneakers
Reptain
noheartx
7 posters
AuthorMessage
noheartx

noheartx

UT points : 5431

Lead Gengar Empty
PostSubject: Lead Gengar   Lead Gengar EmptySat Apr 10, 2010 2:50 pm

So im makin an OU team just for fun but most of them are close to smogon sets except this one

Gengar@Choice Scarf
Levitate Mild
252 Spe 174 Atk 84 Hp
Trick
Shadow Ball
Explosion
Toxic/Will-O-Wisp

So he would be my lead Id start off by tricking my scarf because that screws up most leads then depending on whats out id eithes put up a status effect or just shadow ball and since he is so fragile most likely after one hit i would just splode

rate and comment
Back to top Go down
Reptain

UT points : 5297

Lead Gengar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lead Gengar   Lead Gengar EmptySat Apr 10, 2010 3:12 pm

I haven't really much experience but i think it's cool^^
I would prefer Will-o-Wisp because of the Attack loose if the opponent switches out and later back to it he has lower attack and is maybe not such a threat^^ If i'm talking nonsense I'm sorry^^
Back to top Go down
SebaSneakers

SebaSneakers

UT points : 5753

Lead Gengar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lead Gengar   Lead Gengar EmptySat Apr 10, 2010 3:56 pm

i would go for toxic
i might not effect steel types but if they preddict and switch into a pokémon with flash fire you will have a problem
and toxic takes a pokémon out in 8 turns great against walls
Back to top Go down
Juggernaut

UT points : 5147

Lead Gengar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lead Gengar   Lead Gengar EmptySat Apr 10, 2010 6:05 pm

Lets see how this lead matches up with the top 10 Leads of the current metagame:

Lead Gengar 482- tricking it will just give them a new revenge killer later in the game, since you are running no SpA EVs, shadow ball won't be doing much, and also they will run sash anyways, you would have to trick away the sash first, but most likely they will switch after they see trick so they would have SRed.

Lead Gengar 260- trick will sort of cripple this one although they will just lay up rocks first, also shadow ball won't be doing much of anything and it will also survive an explosion.

Lead Gengar 376- Since more Meta's carry Lum on the lead form than on the regular version, WoW won't be doing anything and BP is an easy KO. If you decide to trick then they just have a new revenge killer.

Lead Gengar 142- your lead actually does a fairly good job against this one, you trick and they lay up rocks and you can blow up on whatever comes in next, providing it isn't a ghost you can get a switch advantage in.

Lead Gengar 385- trick won't do anything, WoW is your only hope but they will iron head you to death anyways, and being locked into WoW is never good.

Lead Gengar 392- they will lay up rocks turn one as you will probably trick you get a sash as they switch and get a revenge killer for later in the game.

Lead Gengar 407- same case as infernape just about, the put you to sleep the first turn as you probably trick, if you do anything else they just get layers of toxic spikes up. They switch as you are asleep and get a revenge killer for later in the game.

Lead Gengar 248- if you trick they have a scarf tar, most carry Lum for sleep leads so WoW won't work and they can SR and payback or just switch if you WoW first turn.

Lead Gengar 291- after one protect they are faster than you, and then can set up on you easily, especially if you trick turn 1.

Lead Gengar 485- if you trick they have a scarf tran, if you WoW they have a boosted tran and they will easily survive explosion and multiple shadow balls and can easily get up SR and switch if you trick the first turn.

Ok, so it seems you lose to about 8 or 9 out of the 10 of the common leads, it is a pretty decent idea, but I wouldn't use it. Next time you are making a lead set make sure to take into account the most common leads in the metagame.
Back to top Go down
Shnoogle

Shnoogle

UT points : 7702

Lead Gengar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lead Gengar   Lead Gengar EmptySat Apr 10, 2010 9:07 pm

Metagross leads almost ALWAYS either carry an occa berry to counter heatran leads, so yeah will-o-wisp does cripple this thing... Pack a skarm on this team maybe so you can take advantage of meta to set up some spikes
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/OctopusOoze
noheartx

noheartx

Lead Gengar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lead Gengar   Lead Gengar EmptySat Apr 10, 2010 9:42 pm

well as far as leads go im not going to trick everything i will make the smartest move available not just automatically trick if its there thats my priority im not gonna ignore the situation if its bad
Back to top Go down
Juggernaut

Lead Gengar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lead Gengar   Lead Gengar EmptyWed Apr 14, 2010 4:34 am

Shnoogle wrote:
Metagross leads almost ALWAYS either carry an occa berry to counter heatran leads, so yeah will-o-wisp does cripple this thing... Pack a skarm on this team maybe so you can take advantage of meta to set up some spikes

| Metagross | Item | Lum Berry | 18.7

| Metagross | Item | Occa Berry | 18.3

Technically lum berry is used more, so it isn't almost always used. Even if it carries Occa you have to mention WoW's unreliable accuracy.
Back to top Go down
Sir Doof

Sir Doof

UT points : 5688

Lead Gengar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lead Gengar   Lead Gengar EmptyWed Apr 14, 2010 1:08 pm

Now a question to Juggernaut. Do you have any suggestion for his team if he would use that lead? Like what should he have in his team just in case something were to go wrong?
Back to top Go down
Sir Doof

Sir Doof

Lead Gengar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lead Gengar   Lead Gengar EmptyWed Apr 14, 2010 1:16 pm

noheartx wrote:
So im makin an OU team just for fun but most of them are close to smogon sets except this one

Gengar@Choice Scarf/Life Orb/Black Sludge/Lefties/Focus Sash
Levitate Mild/Timid
252 Spe 252 Atk 4 Hp
Trick/Poison Jab(if it can learn it)/Night Shade
Shadow Ball/Shadow Claw
Explosion
Toxic/Will-O-Wisp

So he would be my lead Id start off by tricking my scarf because that screws up most leads then depending on whats out id eithes put up a status effect or just shadow ball and since he is so fragile most likely after one hit i would just splode

rate and comment

Look you might as well have Shadow Claw for the crit rate let alone your horrible special attack at this point. Now I personally like the toxic and will-o-wisp idea, but why not try a different type of Gengar that isn't so common, but basically is like an Anti lead. I like the attack type cause Poison Jab has a chance of poisoning the opponent like toxic would. Night Shade for the free 100 damage.
Back to top Go down
Juggernaut

Lead Gengar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lead Gengar   Lead Gengar EmptyWed Apr 14, 2010 1:26 pm

Lead Gengar 482- zelf is usually seen as a lead anyways, but depending on the set it can be beaten by fast priority to pick it off or something to come on its resisted attacks like latias. Tyranitar can set with dragon dances if it is choiced onto the wrong move or scarf tar can easily revenge it.

Lead Gengar 260- swampert is a bulky water so a general switch into bulky waters would be nice, generally celebi would fulfill this role quite nicely.

Lead Gengar 376- a swampert of your own of zapados could take it down pretty easily provided it isn't mixgross which they can both handle pretty well anyways.

Lead Gengar 142- Aero is never seen as a non-lead anyways, swampert is the best thing to take it.

Lead Gengar 385- depends on the set as rachi's unpredictability causes it to not have a 100% counter but a counter to each set. Swampert can beat the calm mind ones. Heatran can take choiced pretty well, as well as most of the other sets.

Lead Gengar 392- mixape can be beaten by latias, with the rise in physical mixape you have to be careful of U-turn however; latias is still the best.

Lead Gengar 407- rade will probably never be seen other than a lead, a sleep absorber lead usually handles it, which is why lum gross is run; however rest talk rotom or anything else that can take a sleep will be able to take it.

Lead Gengar 248- depends on the set, swampert, machamp, poliwrath, gliscor, and hariyama all do a fine job.

Lead Gengar 291- rofl, this will never be seen other than a lead, just make sure you have rocks up and a phazer.

Lead Gengar 485- Vaporeon, Suicune, Gyarados, and Tyranitar do a good job switching in, and suicune can use it as set up bait for a sweep.
Back to top Go down
Sir Doof

Sir Doof

Lead Gengar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lead Gengar   Lead Gengar EmptyWed Apr 14, 2010 1:41 pm

So pretty much Swampert is a good bet o-o
Back to top Go down
saxman1324

saxman1324

UT points : 6078

Lead Gengar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lead Gengar   Lead Gengar EmptyWed Apr 14, 2010 2:26 pm

Timmy wrote:
noheartx wrote:

Gengar@Choice Scarf/Life Orb/Black Sludge/Lefties/Focus Sash
Levitate Mild/Timid
252 Spe 252 Atk 4 Hp
Trick/Poison Jab(if it can learn it)/Night Shade
Shadow Ball/Shadow Claw
Explosion
Toxic/Will-O-Wisp

rate and comment

Look you might as well have Shadow Claw for the crit rate let alone your horrible special attack at this point. Now I personally like the toxic and will-o-wisp idea, but why not try a different type of Gengar that isn't so common, but basically is like an Anti lead. I like the attack type cause Poison Jab has a chance of poisoning the opponent like toxic would. Night Shade for the free 100 damage.

Physical gengar is not good, even with no EV's in SpA. Ive seen a Ttar live a gengar focus punch, and given the x4 150 BP, that is relatively pitiful
Back to top Go down
Juggernaut

Lead Gengar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lead Gengar   Lead Gengar EmptyWed Apr 14, 2010 3:23 pm

Timmy wrote:
So pretty much Swampert is a good bet o-o

for a partner I would say so, especially since it provides stealth rocks, which is needed to check so many threats in OU.
Back to top Go down
noheartx

noheartx

Lead Gengar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lead Gengar   Lead Gengar EmptyWed Apr 14, 2010 4:24 pm

well with his nature he will have good SpA so EVs arent Necessary but i could just dump the Hp ones into SpA

@Timmy
why would he have a timid nature if he was a physical gengar but i do like the idea of Night Shade over trick and then slapping a black sludge on him
Back to top Go down
Sir Doof

Sir Doof

Lead Gengar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lead Gengar   Lead Gengar EmptyWed Apr 14, 2010 5:14 pm

noheartx wrote:
well with his nature he will have good SpA so EVs arent Necessary but i could just dump the Hp ones into SpA

@Timmy
why would he have a timid nature if he was a physical gengar but i do like the idea of Night Shade over trick and then slapping a black sludge on him

OH SNAP! x_x I'm sorry bout the timid nature...that was my little mess up.... x_x i forgot which nature increases speed but lowers spattk
Back to top Go down
noheartx

noheartx

Lead Gengar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lead Gengar   Lead Gengar EmptyWed Apr 14, 2010 5:59 pm

its ok Very Happy but now i have a new question Will O Wisp or Hypnosis
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Lead Gengar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lead Gengar   Lead Gengar Empty

Back to top Go down