Uuttitan Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Uuttitan Community Forums

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Special Metagross

Go down 
+2
Herpdidderp
noheartx
6 posters
AuthorMessage
noheartx

noheartx

UT points : 5434

Special Metagross Empty
PostSubject: Special Metagross   Special Metagross EmptySat Feb 27, 2010 6:58 pm

My special oriented Metagross

Metagross@Life Orb
Modest
252 SpA 252 SpD 4 Spe
Psychic
HP(Water)
Rock Polish
Flash Cannon

Ok so ive always liked Metagross but theyre OU so i never wanted to use one but now i have a set i like. Psychic and Flash Cannon as my main STAB moves. Rock Polish Because most people will switch when they see a Gross so i have a turn to set up. HP water gives me perfect coverage and just being special is a surprise factor.

Rate and Comment
Back to top Go down
Herpdidderp

Herpdidderp

UT points : 5276

Special Metagross Empty
PostSubject: Re: Special Metagross   Special Metagross EmptySat Feb 27, 2010 7:31 pm

Honestly you'd be much better off using MixGross which can actually work. This... is just avoiding Metagross' massive Attack stat. I understand you want surprise and originality but that doesn't mean totally disregard what something wants to do. MixGross can use both Special and Physical attacks effectively and does have a massive surprise factor.
Back to top Go down
noheartx

noheartx

Special Metagross Empty
PostSubject: Re: Special Metagross   Special Metagross EmptySat Feb 27, 2010 7:54 pm

well thats what being original is about doing something that no one does even if it is stupid
Back to top Go down
Herpdidderp

Herpdidderp

Special Metagross Empty
PostSubject: Re: Special Metagross   Special Metagross EmptySat Feb 27, 2010 8:24 pm

I don't see how that in any way makes this set viable, or any set for that matter. It's like using Delibird as a Rapid Spinner and then telling everyone it's original because no one would do it. It's like using Pichu because, hey, no one uses Pichu, so obviously it's going to work because you're original. It's very very poor logic. The point is to find something USEFUL and original.

Also HP-Water? Water. What in god's name does that accomplish? Are you planning on going up against Magcargo? Or maybe Camerupt? HP-Water is among the most usless HP types you can get, down there with Poison and Steel. And you're walled by Starmie/Slowbro/Crawdaunt/Sharpedo/Empoleon so it doesn't give perfect coverage as you say.

Not flaming you, it's constructive criticism. Most gimmicks are highly unlikely to work (such as my lone wolf OHKO everything Weavile) so you need to weed out which will. This set would work if it wasn't for the fact Metagross using it's Attack didn't 100% outclass this set.
Back to top Go down
noheartx

noheartx

Special Metagross Empty
PostSubject: Re: Special Metagross   Special Metagross EmptySat Feb 27, 2010 8:31 pm

i never said it would work its somethin i wanted to try and hp water takes care of my weaknesses to ground and fire i realize ur not flaming me and i appreciate the criticism it helps i just want to try it out before i completely scrap the idea
Back to top Go down
Herpdidderp

Herpdidderp

Special Metagross Empty
PostSubject: Re: Special Metagross   Special Metagross EmptySat Feb 27, 2010 8:44 pm

The main set I can see working is Choice Specs if you want to go all out special. It can Trick onto opponents like Gliscor and the more annoying Hippowdon, though you can get caught by Magnezone and since Metagross tends to draw in special hitters it should be used after you find the opponent's answer to Gross and/or with Sp.D Tar/Blissey. The main moveset is:

-Trick
- Flash Cannon/Psychic
- Hidden Power {Fire}/Grass Knot
- Meteor Mash/Explosion/Shadow Ball

Trick is obvious, and Flash Cannon doesn't have a type that is immune to it so it is prefered > Psychic but both generally work. The next slot is generally to take care of some common things that like to set up on Metagross, namely Hippowdon and Forretress. You can also catch Scizor and Magnezone off guard with HP-Fire. Grass Knot also takes a huge chunk out of Swampert who can usually deal with standard Metagross. The last slot is either a fake, a finish, or another slot to bring down counters. If you send Gross out and Meteor Mash, there is literally no doubt in the opponent's mind that your set is physical, as it usually is. Then when you start pumping out powerful Special hits, you could your opponent's in a tough situation. It also helps pull a late game sweep if you Tricked earlier on. Explosion is a fantastic finish, as if your opponent has figured out you're using a Sp.A set they tend to bring in Sp.D walls like Blissey to get Exploded on. Works well against Snorlax and Hippowdon if you chose HP-Fire as well. Shadow Ball smashes Celebi for a quick 2HKO even on bulky sets and a fantastic OHKO with SR/SS on standard Scarfed Rotom.

I believe this set would be more effective, since with LO you're much better off just using a straight up Mix variation.
Back to top Go down
noheartx

noheartx

Special Metagross Empty
PostSubject: Re: Special Metagross   Special Metagross EmptySat Feb 27, 2010 8:58 pm

hmm i like this set except for the fact he has no speed would it be a good idea to switch SpD Evs to Spe Evs
Back to top Go down
Herpdidderp

Herpdidderp

Special Metagross Empty
PostSubject: Re: Special Metagross   Special Metagross EmptySat Feb 27, 2010 9:01 pm

Yes, it would. If you run pure Sp.A moves Timid is suggested or Modest if you find the extra speed isn't necessary. If you plan on using Meteor Mash or Explosion, I suggest Naive since you really don't have much use for your Sp.D when Metagross has it's fantastic base 130 Defense to use as a switch in. If you want calcs to decide what set would work better I can provide.
Back to top Go down
noheartx

noheartx

Special Metagross Empty
PostSubject: Re: Special Metagross   Special Metagross EmptySat Feb 27, 2010 9:19 pm

i think id go with modest nature cuz he needs all the SpA he can get and i think he maxes at 317 so that plus specs is pretty good i think now i think to compliment him i could use a batton passer are there any good steel type baton passers
Back to top Go down
Herpdidderp

Herpdidderp

Special Metagross Empty
PostSubject: Re: Special Metagross   Special Metagross EmptySat Feb 27, 2010 9:23 pm

Scizor is the best Steel Baton passer though you could also use Mawile, but really this set shouldn't be the reciever, as normal Metagross does that the best.
Back to top Go down
noheartx

noheartx

Special Metagross Empty
PostSubject: Re: Special Metagross   Special Metagross EmptySat Feb 27, 2010 9:31 pm

well with specs i really wont need alot of SpA boost although it couldnt hurt i really need agility so i can sweep
Back to top Go down
cdplayar

cdplayar

UT points : 7925

Special Metagross Empty
PostSubject: Re: Special Metagross   Special Metagross EmptySun Feb 28, 2010 12:33 am

Dude
The Guy With No Avatar Has Some Valid Points In That Its Avoiding Its Good Stat,
Although Originality Is Good,
It Doesnt Work Most Of The Time,
I Tried An Original Set For My Chimeco,
Its An Utter Fail!
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/cdplayar
Neku

Neku

UT points : 5690

Special Metagross Empty
PostSubject: Re: Special Metagross   Special Metagross EmptySun Feb 28, 2010 6:52 pm

Eh, don't take originality to an extreme, it's much better if you got mixed Meta and although I agree with...herpi- him. However it's not constructive if you don't phrase it kindly ie:
Herpdidderp wrote:
I don't see how that in any way makes this set viable, or any set for that matter. It's like using Delibird as a Rapid Spinner and then telling everyone it's original because no one would do it. It's like using Pichu because, hey, no one uses Pichu, so obviously it's going to work because you're original. It's very very poor logic. The point is to find something USEFUL and original.

Also HP-Water? Water. What in god's name does that accomplish? Are you planning on going up against Magcargo? Or maybe Camerupt? HP-Water is among the most usless HP types you can get, down there with Poison and Steel. And you're walled by Starmie/Slowbro/Crawdaunt/Sharpedo/Empoleon so it doesn't give perfect coverage as you say.

But yeah, you win some you lose some and I just don't see this working it's best going with the already established metagross sets since pretty much every successful set has already been made. @CdPlayar, not true originality does work at times, if it's not a fail.
Back to top Go down
noheartx

noheartx

Special Metagross Empty
PostSubject: Re: Special Metagross   Special Metagross EmptySun Feb 28, 2010 7:00 pm

well im gonna test the sets tomorrow in a battle so ill see how they both work
Back to top Go down
TheOSC

TheOSC

UT points : 5494

Special Metagross Empty
PostSubject: Re: Special Metagross   Special Metagross EmptySun Feb 28, 2010 7:02 pm

I find it helps to test first then post, just because that way you can see your issues, tweek them then test again, repeat till you have it as good as you can get it then post. That way you aren't posting things that may not work at all, you aren't asking for someone else to build a team/pokemon for you, and you know what to ask for help with.
Back to top Go down
noheartx

noheartx

Special Metagross Empty
PostSubject: Re: Special Metagross   Special Metagross EmptySun Feb 28, 2010 7:13 pm

well i wanna see what people think before i do it the people on this site are very smart their opinions are very insightful
Back to top Go down
TheOSC

TheOSC

Special Metagross Empty
PostSubject: Re: Special Metagross   Special Metagross EmptySun Feb 28, 2010 7:15 pm

O I'm not denying that, all I'm saying is that if you test first you can give more information and will have had chances to practice your ideas first, then see what other people suggest to fix the reoccurring problems.
Back to top Go down
noheartx

noheartx

Special Metagross Empty
PostSubject: Re: Special Metagross   Special Metagross EmptySun Feb 28, 2010 7:18 pm

i would but i dont have a comp so i cant use shoddy
Back to top Go down
TheOSC

TheOSC

Special Metagross Empty
PostSubject: Re: Special Metagross   Special Metagross EmptySun Feb 28, 2010 7:20 pm

what are you posting on Shocked (I NEED MY COMPUTER OR I WILL SPLOAD!!!)
Back to top Go down
noheartx

noheartx

Special Metagross Empty
PostSubject: Re: Special Metagross   Special Metagross EmptySun Feb 28, 2010 7:34 pm

my psp Surprised
Back to top Go down
TheOSC

TheOSC

Special Metagross Empty
PostSubject: Re: Special Metagross   Special Metagross EmptySun Feb 28, 2010 7:39 pm

(that stinks I have a 1337 Gaming Computer I built. She was Espensive XD)
Back to top Go down
noheartx

noheartx

Special Metagross Empty
PostSubject: Re: Special Metagross   Special Metagross EmptySun Feb 28, 2010 7:53 pm

impressive
Back to top Go down
Blumey

Blumey

UT points : 5376

Special Metagross Empty
PostSubject: Cool idea.   Special Metagross EmptySun Mar 07, 2010 6:22 pm

Its a cool idea but a bit much of a gamble. I would recommend replacing Psychic with Explosion so that you ensure you get at least one guy down with you. And go for Grass Knot or something with HP water.
Back to top Go down
noheartx

noheartx

Special Metagross Empty
PostSubject: Re: Special Metagross   Special Metagross EmptySun Mar 07, 2010 6:37 pm

ive tested him a few times and he actually works well
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Special Metagross Empty
PostSubject: Re: Special Metagross   Special Metagross Empty

Back to top Go down

Special Metagross
Page 1 of 1